Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2016 19:00

Dell XPS 13 9350: Touchscreen not Working on Windows 10

I have just installed a clean UEFI Windows 10 on my almost brand-new XPS 13 the touchscreen does not seem to work at all.

I have gone to the support website to auto-detect and download drivers. Went through Dell's diagnostic tool for touch screen, which said it could not detect any touchscreen device. There are no unknown/driverless devices in my Device Manager.

After scouring through many forum posts, I am baffled. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2016 04:00

This model is available both with and without touchscreen - check the specifications at support.dell.com to verify your unit does have the touch option.

If it does, and you don't see it upon clean install of WIndows 10, call Dell - the touchscreen is faulty.

3 Posts

October 20th, 2016 11:00

I have exactly the same problem on my 2014 vintage XPS 13.  If you ever received an answer I would be please to know the solution.  Like you, I have drawn a complete blank with extensive google searches.

15 Posts

October 20th, 2016 15:00

Hey, I had a new Dell XPS 13 9350 touchscreen a few weeks ago that started to intermittently fail & within a day or 2 it completely gave up. I also noticed that there was no touchscreen device in Device Manager (under HID section) nor any mystery USB devices there (an Internet search reckoned it could be a power problem). I did notice though that under USB Devices section there was a mystery device that said "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Support took me through a step which I'd already tried (uninstall & reinstall mystery USB device) but this time it worked - touchscreen appeared in HID section & mystery USB device vanished. Hung up the phone, moved laptop then the touchscreen failed again. This time, on loading Device Manager, it was unusable. Device Manager kept refreshing over & over again, but I did have time to see that again touchscreen had vanished from HID & the mystery USB (with same message) appeared in USB Devices. This time though the USB device would vanish & then the screen refresh.  

A bit more Google searching revealed that a touchscreen is effectively a mini USB device & I wondered if the issue I was having was due to an intermittent connection. It would explain the constant refreshing of Device Manager since it was like something being connected & disconnected constantly.

A final recovery to factory settings & problem still persisted so I concluded it was a hardware issue.

As it was only 2 weeks old, I was offered a refund since no more stock & today I received a new XPS 13 9360 from Dell. So far no touchscreen issues but possible USB issues (see my earlier post!).

Hope that helps...

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 19:00

I found that there's a Touchscreen option in BIOS (F2 when the Dell logo comes on, on bootup); if you haven't already done so, you might check that that's been set on.

I appreciate that what the initial poster wanted to was to get the touchscreen working, but I had the opposite problem where the touchscreen on my machine was intermittently malfunctioning - so, a different sense of "Touchscreen not Working".  And I was glad to shut it down instead. I effected that through an option in BIOS setup, so in general that might be a place to check as well, whether you want the touchscreen to go on or off. In my case, after over a year of stalwart W10 Dell XPS13 9350 duty, my Taskbar kept flickering, spots kept appearing on my screen, my mouse was randomly going out of control, and over each work session the machine would slow and then freeze after about an hour. After a few days of removing Apps and updates, and wondering about virus infection, I realised that those symptoms looked like the touchscreen was being randomly manipulated, and drawing CPU cycles in some kind of feedback loop. I shut down the touchscreen, and now everything (else) works again. I don't myself really feel the loss of the touchscreen.

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 21:00

I found that there's a Touchscreen option in BIOS (F2 when the Dell logo comes on, on bootup); if you haven't already done so, you might check that that's been set on.

I appreciate that what the initial poster wanted to was to get the touchscreen working, but I had the opposite problem where the touchscreen on my machine was intermittently malfunctioning - so, a different sense of "Touchscreen not Working".  And I was glad to shut it down instead. I effected that through an option in BIOS setup, so in general that might be a place to check as well, whether you want the touchscreen to go on or off. In my case, after over a year of stalwart W10 Dell XPS13 9350 duty, my Taskbar kept flickering, spots kept appearing on my screen, my mouse was randomly going out of control, and over each work session the machine would slow and then freeze after about an hour. After a few days of removing Apps and updates, and wondering about virus infection, I realised that those symptoms looked like the touchscreen was being randomly manipulated, and drawing CPU cycles in some kind of feedback loop. I shut down the touchscreen, and now everything (else) works again. I don't myself really feel the loss of the touchscreen.

3 Posts

June 4th, 2017 16:00

Hi Danny,

I had forgotten I had posted here until I was notified of your post.

As it happens I found the answer to my problem.  It was unequivocal.

As noted above, my ultrabook did not see the touchscreen at all.  It didn't appear in the BIOS and, not surprisingly, Windows (10) did not see there was a touch screen attached.

Quite some time after posting here I spilt coffee on my keyboard.  Despite my best efforts (immersed in rice etc) the keyboard (and touchpad) were dead.  I bought and installed a second had keyboard.  It takes a major stripdown to install the keyboard.  At the end my touch screen worked.

It seems many problems can be traced to the physical connection.  My guess is that will include your erratic symptoms.

My touch screen now works perfectly.  And I rarely, if ever, use it.

Keith

No Events found!