Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 11th, 2015 08:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 Will not boot straight out of the box

Hi,

my Dell XPS 9350 does not boot at all. It is a brand new laptop that crashed while Windows 10 Updates were applied so I had to restart it. On restart, all that I got was a black display. Not even the Dell logo shows up so I cannot go into the bios settings or change the boot mode,...

The display seems to work as I run the display test and the colors show up but once the test is done, all that I get is the black screen. 

Dell Support now offered me to send a technical guy to repair the laptop but the problem is that they do not yet have the new XPS 13 in their support list and needed 3 days to update their database. Now it turns out that they do not have some components and will not come until they have everything. Dell is not able to tell me how long this will take (very strange from my point of view). 

Now my problem is that I would urgently need this laptop so that  I would like to avoid the option to simply send it back and order a new one. 

So if there is someone that has a clue if this can be solved by some trick without having to change a hardware I would be glad. 

As mentioned already, I did the system tests that I found in the forums but the only thing that worked was the display test. 

It is the 9350 using an Intel Core i7 and the 512 GB SSD using the PCI slot.

Thanks

Thomas

9.4K Posts

November 12th, 2015 10:00

Hi Tanzinge,

Thanks for posting.

Are there any beeps when the unit tries to boot?  Beep codes can help indicate what parts may have a problem.

Have you tried using an external monitor?

Please try these things and post back so the experts here can further assist.  Thanksl.

Regards,
Robert

10 Posts

November 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi Robert,

thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortunately there is no beep code and connecting an external monitor does not fix this either. I tried connecting the monitor using thunderbolt to HDMI.

Thanks again.

Regards

Thomas

10 Posts

November 13th, 2015 04:00

You have just successfully lost a customer.

Dell Support called me to tell me that the expected date to get a technical guy is in December and the replacement offer is also to get the new XPS in December. 

Sorry but this is not an option and I have to look for another vendor.

I cannot tell you how upset I am at the moment. Dell for me now is equal to a nightmare. No one actually beliefs me if I tell him the story exept others that also had similar issues. 

My suggestion is that you quickly find a way to improve the support (especially the time to fix a problem) for private customers or you will lose more upset individuals like me (guess it does not matter much compared to your enterprise business model).

Regards

Thomas

9.4K Posts

November 13th, 2015 08:00

Hi Thomas,

I do apologize that a new computer takes about 7-10 days to build and then a few days to ship to a customer.  We do not keep models sitting around on shelves so that one could be sent to you next day, they are built when the order is placed.  If there is a parts shortage, then it can take more time.  We've offered to replace the unit free of charge to you.

The in home repairs are done by a third party company, who schedules and manages their own time.  We do not have access to their schedules, however they will contact you to set up an appointment, perhaps discussing the urgency of your situation with them nicely when they call might produce some better time.

Regards,
Robert

1 Message

November 13th, 2015 11:00

I had a remarkably similar experience.  I ordered my 9350 XPS 13 on 10/15/15 (i7, 512GB), and received it on 10/29/15.

Unfortunately, the laptop was completely dead on arrival.  It would not start at all.  I got no display to the screen, and the power light would display for approximately 10 seconds then go out.  Nothing else would happen.  Did diagnostics with tech support, and they offered to exchange it for a new one.  

I am still waiting for the replacement, despite assurances that the order would be expedited and I would receive it in 5-10 days (now 15+ days...).

Overall, a very disappointing experience.  Seems there may be some unaddressed QA issues...

10 Posts

November 13th, 2015 12:00

Dear Robert,

next time do not apologize if you do not want to.

The fact is that I reported the issue the 6th of November and the earliest that I may get it replaced is the 5th of December. So we are not talking ab out 5-7 days we are talking about a month!

You offered to replace the unit for free. Wow how generous that you do not charge me for having sold me a unit that does not even start up.

I see this is the support Dell is willing to offer.

Do not care about me any longer, I left Dell forever but do not use the third party company as an excuse because it is not their fault that Dell is not capable of providing the replacement parts (oh wait yes they can but you have to wait at least 1 month for it). 

Keep fooling your customers no problem but without me.

Regards

Thomas

November 14th, 2015 14:00

Thomas you are *** off (and I would be to), but it is NOT Roberts fault that Dell has grown too big and as such really does not care about the little people (its customers). Robert is at the sharp end and as such he has to take the brunt of *** off Dell customers.

Nik

2 Posts

January 27th, 2016 15:00

Robert,

Just so you know, I have just had an identical experience.  A brand new XPS 13 9350, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and no screen, no beep codes and no Dell logo when powering up for the first time. Effectively DOA.

Dell's support closes at 6pm.  I purchased through a reseller, so I will insist they send me a replacement out of stock rather than use the increasingly disappointing Dell warranty support services.

I post this so that others may realise the XPS 13 while receiving great reviews apparently has a problem that is growing in numbers.  If you get a dud one, it is DUD until it is replaced.

Rgds,

--Rob.

6 Posts

March 20th, 2016 08:00

Same here, brand new xps 13 9350, 512GB ssd, 16GB ram, i7...did boot a couple of times, but suddenly no boot. No BIOS, no DELL logo. Pwr button lights up, keyboard lights up, screen lights up, but nothing is displayed on the screen...power itself off after a minute or so. Starting with F2 or F12 has no effect. Seems like the BIOS died.

I have read that some Dell models have a BIOS flash procedure, where you hold down the "END" button and simultaneously connect the power cord, which then will start a bios flash from an attached usb.

Does anyone know if a similar procedure exists for the 9350?

2 Posts

March 20th, 2016 18:00

I bought one off amazon like a year ago, was DOA as well! Returned it for a replacement, and it only took 4 days to receive another unit that worked perfectly. Amazon deal with the issue promptly.  

2 Posts

March 21st, 2016 05:00

The most worrying issue for me was Dell's response when PC World Business (DO NOT BUY FROM THEM) said "Warranty is with Dell - not us" 24 hours after selling me the thing through a facelss channel reseller.

Dell support then failed to turn up twice, and it was a royal pain to get the thing replaced.  PC World Business is incredibly unfriendly.  They are not interested in solving your problem after they have your money, even when legally it is theirs to solve.  I had to lean on Dell, and wait a week to get an operational 9350.  PCWB should have resolved this, but washed their hands of it.

Neither organisation looks shiny to me after this experience.

1 Message

January 21st, 2017 06:00

Another experience here: just received a brand new XPS13, 512GB ssd, 16GB ram. It just didn't start out of the box: no display, I here the fan turning two seconds when holding the power button then nothing.

Seems like it's a recurring issue with 9350. I don't understand why Dell doesn't test the computer before shipping it. Now will probably have to wait few weeks again to get a replacement... Thanks Dell.

No Events found!