Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 7th, 2017 00:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Creators update clean install?

Have some questions on this. I would like to do a clean install. My concern is during the install. Will I need to manually add the Intel rapid storage driver before Windows 10 will even install? The next thing is the various drivers situation. Do I need to manually download them from Dell putting in my service tag? That is a whole lot of drivers to install manually if so. Or would the Dell driver detection tool possibly work? I am trying to minimize bloatware as it is. 

380 Posts

April 7th, 2017 03:00

How many drivers are you talking about? I know that when we did a clean install on a couple of old HP desktops, it did a good job of installing the necessary drivers and it found the proper video driver for a rather old video card. We started with the Media Creation Tool for the Anniversary Update. It installed the base version and we had to run Windows Update to download and install the latest cumulative update to bring them up to snuff. The Anniversary update did update some drivers as well when I updated a couple of my systems. You did not mention what computer you have and its age. If it is fairly new, there should be no issue. You might want to wait until the new Creators Update becomes available next week and download and generate the Media Creation Tool to a USB flash drive to do your install. Of course, you might want to wait a bit to do the install to see if there are any issues with the CU first. It seems like each new major release of Windows 10 tends to destroy a few systems. Whatever you do, make sure your current system is backed up just in case.

JohnD

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 7th, 2017 06:00

I agree, one of the newer systems has quite a few drivers.  Before you attempt the clean install you might check the current drivers and tie them to some device currently on your system.

Downloading the Updater might be the best way to go but I cannot guarantee it will not install some software, although I don't think it does.

I suppose the bottom line is a clean install is not hard to repeat as long as you don't install your own programs.  If you don't like the way it comes out if you were to download and use the updater, you could reinstall.

Just make sure the basic chipset driver is loaded and I would do that manually..

No Events found!