Highlighted
mrboon
1 Nickel

Dell XPS 13 9350 boot time slow

Hey guys, I got a new Dell XPS 13 9350, did a clean install of windows 10 pro. windows update installed all drivers for me. Computer is working well, but the boot time is on the slow side. It takes about 23 seconds to get to windows login screen from clicking the power button.

After clicking the power button the screen remains black for about 8-9 seconds, then the DELL logo shows up. After which is starts loading windows. I've seen some videos like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjdXy0yORU There it boots up insanely fast. It will show the Dell logo after only a second or 2.

I've updated my BIOS to the latest version. Fast Boot in bios is set to "minimum", so it loads the least amount of checks. What could be causing the long wait before showing the Dell logo?

0 Kudos
71 Replies

RE: Dell XPS 13 9350 boot time slow

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

There are a few steps that you have to try to isolate the issues.

Step 1 – First of all, double-check that your version of Windows is not infected with any viruses.

Step 2 – If you are given the all-clear by your anti-virus software of choice, its worth having a look through the Windows Task Manager.

Step 3 - The Windows key and R as soon as your desktop appears.Type in services.msc in the Run box and hit the Enter key.f one of the processes is dragging its feet, simply Right-Click the item, Open them and then change their Settings from Default – to Delayed Start. Then save and reboot the system.

Thanks

Robin

DELL-Robin D
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

DELL-Robin D, your suggestions aren't relevant.  The original post relates to a delay before the Dell logo appears.  Windows isn't running at that stage.

mrboon
1 Nickel

Windows has nothing to do with it. Even without an OS installed, the issue remains. It takes a long time before the bios Dell logo even shows.

If there was a way to disable the bios POST logo, and show info instead, that would be useful. But as far as I can see in the BIOS options, there is no such option.

I'm getting the same problem. Keep in mind we're not talking about Windows loading time. This about the time before the Dell logo loads.

kentjapan
2 Iron

Real longshot here . . . but in bios there is an option where you can tell the Post to stay 5 or 10 seconds more (rather than 0 seconds) in order to see error messages and the like.  Doubt yours is set to 5 or 10 but worth a look.  

As an aside . . . I think my 9350 boots up, for example, once it goes to sleep, a little slowly..  At some point I am going to get a 950 Pro and see what that does for responsiveness,

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Please look for " Turn On Fast Startup" setting then make sure it's check off in "Power Options"

1. Right click Start's button

2. Click Power Options

3. Click Choose what power buttons do

Fig C 10-25.png

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

" It takes about 23 seconds to get to windows login screen from clicking the power button. "

23 seconds is too long to boot up especially for an expensive laptop - XPS). You must have too many programs running in your startup. I like to suggest you disable some of the programs in the startups.

1. Right click on Start's button

2. Click Task Manager

3. Look for 'Startup " at top of page

4. You can disable some of your programs

Example - don't need in startup):

- Dell printer

- External Hard drive

-  Mcafee Antivirus

- Dropbox

- Microsoft One Drive

You'll see each program mark as High, Medium or Low in the startup impact.

0 Kudos
mrboon
1 Nickel

Please read the message... its a clean install. No other software installed. Only Dell's latest BIOS and drivers.

Issue still remains...

mrboon
1 Nickel

It's set to 0 in the bios already Smiley Sad

0 Kudos