Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2017 10:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 shuts down instead of sleeping when lid is shut.

I've read several entries on this forum about this exact problem - though the dates seem a little more erratic if it were directly related to a single software update. 

The Problem: Every time I put the computer into sleep mode, it shuts down instead. Although, the computer does wake when I open the lid, but any program that was open has been closed. 

Attempted Solutions: This happened about a week ago, and after updating/reinstalling BIOS and video drivers, as well as checking power settings, the problem persisted. Since I didn't have any recent system restore points, I reinstalled windows. Alas the problem went away. For 4 days. 
I've intentionally not updated using Dell Update, but something has seemingly gotten past administrative permission and installed itself today. There are no updates in the update log, but there aren't many other explanations I can think of. 

Please don't tell me to check my power settings, or reinstall/update BIOS or video drivers. I've tried that already. Are there any other solutions to this problem? 

9.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 09:00

Hi Thor04e,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system isn't working as you expected.

Since you've tried everything I was able to find for addressing this situation, please perform a systems diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup, or by running Dell Support Assist, make a note of any errors you encounter, then contact Tech Support for further troubleshooting and possible resolution.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

16 Posts

October 24th, 2017 20:00

Thor04e - very similar (but different) to what recently started for me too. I can't shut down or go to sleep or hibernate. Attempts at any of those triggers a re-start, so laptop is always running and slowly drains my battery until dead. I have to stay plugged in at all times. See the post I made yesterday (Oct 23). What the hey is going on???  - KAPOOWI

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 08:00

Please contact Tech Support, as they will have the ability to troubleshoot with you.  The contact information is in the post above.  Thanks.

3 Posts

November 16th, 2017 15:00

Mine doesn't "wake" on reopening of the lid... instead, it takes more time than usual to boot up and I have to hit the power button to start the process (sometimes it acts like it doesn't even want to turn on and I have to hit the power button more than once)!  If its "sleeping" for more than a hour or two, I'm convinced its going to shutdown hard.  I've lost work I don't know how many times.  My HP had problems, but at least I never lost work because it shutdown whenever it felt like it...

No Events found!