baker0522
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 13 9360 - BIOS v. 2.4.2 breaks UEFI Network Stack Ability

Just to verify, you mentioned that you had secure boot disabled, by any chance did you have "Legacy Boot ROMS" ENABLED? (Under Advanced Boot Options).

I've never set this option (Legacy Option ROMS) because I always have secure boot on, but I just noticed that enabling legacy allows the UEFI network stack to work.

So I guess now I'm wondering, is SecureBoot no longer supported with UEFI network booting?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

No, I never enabled the Legacy boot.  But remember, I do not have any PXE devices to boot from so my system could not check them for compatibility with Secure Boot.

About all I know about Legacy Boot ROMs is when Secure Boot first started, some of the PCIe devices, such as video cards, were not compatible and that option was necessary for booting with Secure Boot.

But at least some progress and more information concerning your situation.. 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
baker0522
1 Nickel

It's not really dependent on the PXE device to boot into, even if I don't have the network connected, it should still show the IPV4/IPV6 options.  The problem is that it doesn't even show those options unless I enable legacy boot rom options (which is unfortunately requiring me to disable secure boot in order to do).

I still can't get support.  Called them with this new information and now they told me that my warranty doesn't cover issues that arise due to BIOS software changes.

So I'm going to let the guy come and change the motherboards and pretend this didn't happen.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I just wanted to pass along, I set mine up again and the Legacy ROMS on my system is greyed out, I cannot check it.  I am still in Secure Boot so the process did not turn that off.

I am going through a TB16 Dock and all its drivers are updated.  If the Thunderbolt works through the PCIe bus, it may be something on your system involved, possibly the Ethernet devices or their drivers or even the Thunderbolt firmware, which has been updated recently.

Of course, none of this really counters the fact a Bios update may be responsible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos