Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 13 (9360) FHD, Adaptive Brightness Issue ?

Jump to solution

I am planning on buying the dell xps 13 9360 (Kaby lake) FHD. I've heard that the dell xps 13 has an adaptive brightness issue that persists for many user and Its seems that Dell has provided a fix for the QHD version of the laptop but the fix for the FHD. Or has the issue been completely fixed on the dell xps 9360 FHD? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

RE: Dell XPS 13 (9360) FHD, Adaptive Brightness Issue ?

Jump to solution

There is no "issue".

The Dell XPS 13 9360 ships with a design feature called "content-adaptive brightness control" (CABC). This feature will change the brightness of the screen depending on the content that is rendered on the screen.

A number of customers do not like this design feature (me included, by the way). As a result, Dell have made available a tool which allows turning off / turning on of CABC ( www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails ). This tool is _only_ available for systems with the QHD display, as, apparently, the tool reconfigures the screen panel firmware.

For the record: personally, I am very happy with CABC turned off on my QHD display. I am also very happy that there is no dynamic brightness control (reacting to environment brightness) is implemented either.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

When you say Adaptive, do you mean to say the brightness will change automatically based on the ambient brightness?

I dont think that feature is even offered as I dont find that option under Display settings in my 9360.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

There is no "issue".

The Dell XPS 13 9360 ships with a design feature called "content-adaptive brightness control" (CABC). This feature will change the brightness of the screen depending on the content that is rendered on the screen.

A number of customers do not like this design feature (me included, by the way). As a result, Dell have made available a tool which allows turning off / turning on of CABC ( www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails ). This tool is _only_ available for systems with the QHD display, as, apparently, the tool reconfigures the screen panel firmware.

For the record: personally, I am very happy with CABC turned off on my QHD display. I am also very happy that there is no dynamic brightness control (reacting to environment brightness) is implemented either.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you please let me know where do I turn it off? I have the XPS 13, QHD, touch 9360!

Thanks, Xv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes, the brightness will change automatically based on the ambient brightness. Thats what I meant to say.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Then what about the FHD version? How to turn it off on the FHD version?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

But then how do you turn it off on the FHD version ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

For disabling CABC on the QHD display - see my first message.

For the FHD display, allow to repeat: No possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi. The link you provided specifies that the tool is for the 9350 and not the 9360. Is there an updated tool for the 9360?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
0 Kudos