Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2016 16:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 (Kaby Lake) Coil Whine Issue

I recently purchased the XPS 13 9360 (Kaby Lake) and have been using for a couple days.

I've noticed coil whine in the form of static sounds coming from the left side of the laptop, near the power connector.

There is very minimal noise when the laptop is on battery, where the noise is audible when your ear is next to the keyboard.

However, when connected to the power outlet the static becomes quite audible at a normal viewing distance. The static occurs frequently (especially when scrolling).

I tend to work in quite spaces with little ambient room noise, as I am easily distracted.

Is there a solution to resolving this coil whine issue? I feel like at this price point this should not be an issue (especially since is was well known in the earlier models).

October 30th, 2016 15:00

I have this issue on the 9350. It's driving me insane. The coil whine is constant and increases when moving the mouse cursor. Paid over 2000 euros for this thing and feel like smashing it;

7 Posts

October 31st, 2016 19:00

Join the club. This has been an issue for at least 2 generations and Dell has done nothing to fix it. There is no workaround other than getting a refund. There are a couple of threads on this community forum and a Dell rep has responded already. Try your luck with him but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

1 Message

December 5th, 2016 01:00

Hi,

I purchased a dell XPS 13 9360 1 week ago and I experienced the same issue from the date I received the device with the slight different that in my case the sound comes from the middle area of the keyboard between letters F and J.

Has this problem been fixed by dell to anyone before or is this an issue that costumers need to deal with

1 Message

December 16th, 2016 03:00

I also just purchased the XPS 13 9360 two weeks ago, and I hear a constant screeching coming from the middle of the keyboard area.

Thank god it's a hardware issue - I thought I had developed tinnitus!

How can Dell let this defect exist in their most expensive XPS model?

I will certainly be demanding a refund if they can't fix this - it will totally ruin watching movies with that broken violin sound in the background (watching and editing movies was one of the main reasons I bought this model).

5 Posts

December 17th, 2016 11:00

it is unfortunatly normal that you hear the coils whining. this is the biggest flaw for the xps13 - and it was in the reviews mentioned...

and till its a hardware design issue there will be no fix.

only upside is, that you can only hear it while its realy quiet and you put your focus on this

1 Message

December 24th, 2016 12:00

Oh god, I ordered the XPS then read all this.  I have coil whine on my Acer Swift 3 and its driving me insane.  It's all I can hear 24/7.  even with my Tinitus.  I wonder if every XPS has it, i.e. engineering issue vs some faulty units?

1 Message

January 5th, 2017 17:00

I also experience this with my Dell XPS 13.

6 Posts

January 25th, 2017 05:00

I had some heating issues after I got mine and it was resolved after I updated my BIOS. You might try that.

8 Posts

February 7th, 2017 05:00

"and till its a hardware design issue there will be no fix."

ok..but why do we keep being told they are working on a fix then?

2 Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

This is a problem that seems to be plaguing many people. It's really annoying, and sounds like I have an entire RAID of spinning disks chirping away in the laptop. While it seems to happen most when i'm doing more resource intensive tasks, I'm hearing this occur even when opening Chrome. The issue occurs whether its plugged to AC or not, but certainly when charging its even worse.

6 Posts

July 10th, 2017 05:00

I have the same issue, will be contacting support soon

1 Message

October 6th, 2017 04:00

d111 what did they say? I'm having the same issue. I've read about updating drivers and stuff but nothing really worked. Also I just got the latest bios update and nothing. I'm thinking about contacting Dell too.

No Events found!