Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2017 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - Multiple issues

I've purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360 and I've had problems with the video flickering.  It happens about every 5-10 minutes for about 5 seconds.

I've spent probably 30-40 hours trying to resolve the issue and I'm pretty fed up with it over the last 2-3 months.  I didn't notice it enough to decide ultimately to get my money back but it is too late.

• I've run the diagnostic tool, and it apparently failed.  A technician was sent to my house to replace a part of the computer not related to video, and the part was refurbished.  I declined opening the device up and wanted to get my money back.  Apparently this test always fails unless the computer is plugged in apparently.  I found this out after the technician left...good I didn't let him replace a non-related part!
  • I've realized my 30 day return window has passed.  Gulp! That's after spending a few hours here and there trying to resolve the issue. Now I have a machine with an issue that is going to take plenty of hours to diagnose.
  • I've updated the BIOS, updated the Video drivers, to no avail.  I've now engaged Dell Chat support, who has stepped me through the entire process of doing this all over again.
  • At this point, I've asked for an escalation.  Normally this has been easy in the past, but I'm being forced to step through a repeat of the troubleshooting process which I've already accomplished
  • At the end of the day, I'm seriously regretting this purchase.  Until I get either a replacement, I've decided to write reviews. This is a top of the line machine, there should be no reason why I can't get resolution in a timely manner without having to sacrifice 2-3 hours out of my day to watch someone remote to my machine and install drivers.
  • I rarely have purchased any laptop in the last 10 years that haven't had some major issue with it, and Dell is no exception.  I'm now stuck with a time burden and a device that I do not want.  You really have to stay on top of electronic companies these days....they will literally attempt to *** all the time away.  The real purchase price of this machine is now double for the time wasted that I will not get back.
  • Apparently from what I am reading this issue has been around much longer than the 9360 version of the XPS 13.  That is unfortunate.
  • The service help, although very kind, chooses not to address my request for escalation or talking about a replacement item.  Im having to restore my device to a previously configured configuration.  Does that mean I'm not entitled to update the drivers, ever? I dictate the terms of this agreement, just because you already have my 2500 dollars for the laptop does not mean that I can keep spending hours daily debugging.

14 Posts

April 20th, 2017 16:00

I believe I'm going to write a scathing review of my experience daily anywhere I can find a review for this device until my concerns are addressed.

9.4K Posts

April 21st, 2017 06:00

Hi michae9000,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2obuxQh

14 Posts

April 21st, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the post and information.  What is the long term resolution?  Do I selectively never choose to update to the proper device driver?

I need a replacement unit, and I'll continue on with my BBB complaint and reviews until Dell has the gumption to make this right

9.4K Posts

April 24th, 2017 05:00

According to the information I sent, the Dell Intel HD Graphics driver 21.20.16.4574 is confirmed issue-free.

If you have already upgraded the nVidia graphics driver with the driver package downloaded from nVidia support site while attempting to fix the flickering issue, please roll back to the Dell official release version to avoid any issues that may present.

5 Posts

April 25th, 2017 13:00

Robert, XPS 13 9360 does not have a NVidia card, so I have no idea why you are refering to NVidia driver. I install the new Intel HD graphic driver and I confirm that problem is not solved. I can easily be reproduced: Upgrade to Windows Pro, enable Hyper-V, Reboot and your screen will start flickering after a while.

It is consistently broken on all laptop I tried (This one and the previous one I had).

6 Posts

April 29th, 2017 21:00

FYI. There is another post in:

en.community.dell.com/.../20991775

6 Posts

April 29th, 2017 21:00

I have the same issue. Occur very seldom.

There are tones of posts in the community regarding this issue, though Dell is still so helpless.

Im search for that everyday to see if anyone has solved it already.

As u can see, they would only reply some sort of bull sh..

40 Posts

April 30th, 2017 16:00

@DELL-Robert P - The guide you linked to is completely wrong. The issue has not been resolved. There is an 11 page (and growing) thread of people continuing to have this very issue. It has persisted with all versions of the Intel drivers made available via the Dell site (including the recent 4627 drivers): en.community.dell.com/.../20007351

It is really worrying that Dell employees think this issue is resolved because it sounds like they are just giving up with this issue. It has been an issue since the 9550 and that was never resolved. I'm guessing we're all stuck with £2,000 laptops with screen flicker.

14 Posts

May 1st, 2017 19:00

Filled out a bBB complaint for this device, ID 12133925.

14 Posts

May 11th, 2017 03:00

Anyone have any other suggestions?

14 Posts

May 26th, 2017 11:00

I'm having bluescreen issues with the same device now, and getting asked to do yet ANOTHER remote-from-a-complete-stranger sessions with my personal data.  I'm 40 hours into debugging this device and I'm losing my ***.  I have done my due diligence.

Has any one attempted legal action against Dell?  Tweeted Michael Dell himself? This has been the single worst purchase experience I've had with ANY product.

Please for the love of god, someone at the company reading this tell me how to escalate my issue!

Service Tag: C92TTF2  Dell XPS 13 9360

1 Message

May 29th, 2017 01:00

This is alarming.  I just picked up one of those last week.  I haven't had any issues with it (yet).  You probably got a faulty unit, so I would push Dell to have it replaced with a working one.  My guess is that software/drivers won't solve your problem because if the driver was the issue, then I should in theory have the same problem, which I don't.  I think you have a hardware problem.  Maybe a faulty memory or a loose connection somewhere.  I'd get it replaced if I was you.

14 Posts

May 29th, 2017 18:00

@zqush I agree, I think it is a HW problem.  My biggest issue is how much Dell actually offloads their troubleshooting on the customer.

I paid premium price for the device because I want them to make the laptop issues THEIR problem, not mine.  I shouldn't have to spend an hour everyday with someone to troubleshoot the item.

Theoretically, if each of the drivers are released and tested, the device should be issue free.  If it is not, the device has issues, and patching with new driver updates will be troublesome.  

I've had to kick, scratch and scream to get them to do anything.  If I tell them it has taken too much time to troubleshoot, they send me a survey.  If I can keep at least x people from making the same mistake then I'll take that as a consolation prize.

14 Posts

June 1st, 2017 14:00

Managed to find some time to do more free work for Dell.  I updated the BIOS, so far no issues.  41 hours in and counting!  Fingers crossed!

June 1st, 2017 17:00

So, as someone who's fought several of these issues historically, and I had this problem on my 9550, I have to ask, have you removed the installation of the powercolor software that came from Dell? I removed that on the 9550 and it stopped this problem. I can also tell you that you CANNOT on the 9550 use the stock version of the Intel Graphics drivers if you have the Release Preview. It will take about 3 minutes (this is NOT an exaggeration) for the machine to boot with them. You must use the Dell "cooked" version.

If the PowerColor application is still installed on your machine. Ditch it ASAP. this is also the thing that assists with dragging windows to other screens (in a quite annoying way).

No Events found!