Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2017 15:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 - Multiple issues

I've purchased a Dell XPS 13 9360 and I've had problems with the video flickering.  It happens about every 5-10 minutes for about 5 seconds.

I've spent probably 30-40 hours trying to resolve the issue and I'm pretty fed up with it over the last 2-3 months.  I didn't notice it enough to decide ultimately to get my money back but it is too late.

• I've run the diagnostic tool, and it apparently failed.  A technician was sent to my house to replace a part of the computer not related to video, and the part was refurbished.  I declined opening the device up and wanted to get my money back.  Apparently this test always fails unless the computer is plugged in apparently.  I found this out after the technician left...good I didn't let him replace a non-related part!
  • I've realized my 30 day return window has passed.  Gulp! That's after spending a few hours here and there trying to resolve the issue. Now I have a machine with an issue that is going to take plenty of hours to diagnose.
  • I've updated the BIOS, updated the Video drivers, to no avail.  I've now engaged Dell Chat support, who has stepped me through the entire process of doing this all over again.
  • At this point, I've asked for an escalation.  Normally this has been easy in the past, but I'm being forced to step through a repeat of the troubleshooting process which I've already accomplished
  • At the end of the day, I'm seriously regretting this purchase.  Until I get either a replacement, I've decided to write reviews. This is a top of the line machine, there should be no reason why I can't get resolution in a timely manner without having to sacrifice 2-3 hours out of my day to watch someone remote to my machine and install drivers.
  • I rarely have purchased any laptop in the last 10 years that haven't had some major issue with it, and Dell is no exception.  I'm now stuck with a time burden and a device that I do not want.  You really have to stay on top of electronic companies these days....they will literally attempt to *** all the time away.  The real purchase price of this machine is now double for the time wasted that I will not get back.
  • Apparently from what I am reading this issue has been around much longer than the 9360 version of the XPS 13.  That is unfortunate.
  • The service help, although very kind, chooses not to address my request for escalation or talking about a replacement item.  Im having to restore my device to a previously configured configuration.  Does that mean I'm not entitled to update the drivers, ever? I dictate the terms of this agreement, just because you already have my 2500 dollars for the laptop does not mean that I can keep spending hours daily debugging.

14 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 07:00

I will try that, thank you for the suggestion.  I will try to find that application

14 Posts

June 5th, 2017 11:00

Sigh, machine bluescreened on shutdown today, I really don't have time to invest in a remote debugging session today, I just have to laugh and how much *** Dell is willing to offload on the customer.   Perhaps later this week when I have absolutely nothing to do during the day.

Unbelievable.  

Thinking about cutting bait, selling the machine off and getting something back and make it someone else's problem, and I'll eat a thousand or so.  Maybe I can find some pro bono legal advice.

Dell, you absolutely ***.  Worst purchase ever, going to make it my mission in life to prevent anyone making the same mistake.

14 Posts

June 8th, 2017 16:00

Still getting emails from support to remote troubleshoot the machine, setting up callback times during the workday lol.  i have accident protection, I get a replacement anyway if something is broken with the machine?  How is that any different?

14 Posts

June 12th, 2017 17:00

45 hours in.  The unholy communion with the Dell's ripoff express continues...

The Dell support team is using the 'don't answer the question directly technique'.  They continually ask me to set up a time they may remotely debug my computer, in which I respond only with 'Provide me a replacement'.  Maybe I'm talking to a bot?

I would rather they just send me a list of the drivers that have the best chance for correcting the Wifi bluescreen issue, which I cannot actually deterministically duplicate (and thus prove).   What usually happens on sending these units in is they cannot repeat the customers issue, and then just return the unit.

If they want to try different combinations of drivers usually means they have no idea what is wrong with it. After all this time it is STILL cheaper for them to try to have people take a swing at fixing it.

8 Posts

September 16th, 2017 09:00

I feel your pain. I'm disappointed with my 9360 as I've had several glitches over the past 3-4 months and getting it to work properly with the TB-16 is worse. Especially since the awful BIOS updates.

In your case, Dell should have sent a replacement laptop after the first few tries where it didn't work. I've been buying Dells for the past 15 years but I just feel it's not the same company anymore. Part of me wishes I went with a MacBook instead.

14 Posts

September 16th, 2017 10:00

Agreed. I've told my story to enough tech people, some decision makers, fellow engineers.  I've seen a lot of tech peers have spread that news around and seems like more Macbooks and other brands being purchased for corporate use. I wouldn't normally have considered the walled garden of an Apple product but headed that direction.  Dell is too big to care...as a dissatisfied customer I realized I can cause some  disruption on the ground. Would have been simpler if they gave me a replacement and kept me as a customer. Just spread the word!

No Events found!