Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2017 10:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 Random reboots

Bought a XPS 13 9360 very recently, great laptop, great quality, if only it was not rebooting at random moments.

It happens at the most random times, one to three times a day and I don't see anything that can cause it. I tried updating all the drivers, but that didn't seem to be the problem. Hope Dell will get us a fix soon, as it is a brand new Laptop, and I've found other people in online discussions who have the same issue (without any help). It's no fun to buy a beautiful new laptop which reboots every day twice...

Refunding or changing it is not really an option as it would take a few days and I need it to study on it as it might take a few days before I get a new one...

Anyone any other ideas that may help?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2017 10:00

Had exactly the same issue! I found out on Reddit that this is known issue effecting this model. Both Reddit and Dell support suggested downgrading the BIOS to 2.1.0. So far this has fixed the problem for me.

1 Message

December 7th, 2017 22:00

didn't work for me

5 Posts

December 12th, 2017 09:00

Here comes new version: 2.4.2 Release Date: 12 Dec 2017. Did anyone update to the new 2.4.2 version? or should i downgrade to 2.1.0, because now i have 2.2.1 i my laptop randomly reboots

1 Message

December 1st, 2017 14:00

subscribe

34 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 21:00

Hi Zodevax, I followed that step you have suggested, and also by LSUFAN51 in the thread that I made. Unfortunately, I still have the reboots and no dialogue box pops up to tell me what went wrong.

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 21:00

Type in System in your Taskbar Searchbar. Click on "System." In the window on the left hand side, click "Advanced system settings," then click "Settings..." under "Startup and Recovery." Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" under "System failure."

Turns out Windows systems have that option selected so in case of System failure, the computer will automatically reboot to prevent the computer from further damage. However, by unchecking that box, instead of a reboot, a dialogue box will pop up and tell you what exactly went wrong with your computer. So far, no dialogue box showed up, and my Dell XPS 13 isn't randomly rebooting...So far so good. Never had another random reboot in 2 days and counting. Please try this and let me know if this is a fix. Would be beyond happy if this simple trick fixes things...

December 5th, 2017 16:00

Thanx a lot mate, this did the trick for me!

1 Message

December 11th, 2017 16:00

I am the same issure but only when I use the battery. Once the external power is plugged in, it's very noemal. Moreove, I also find out that the adjustment of brightness doesn't work form either the fun+F11(F12) nor the windows setting. The only place I can change it is in the bios.

1 Message

December 13th, 2017 01:00

2.4.2 version is not working, reboots occur after updating

2 Posts

December 13th, 2017 14:00

using 2.4.2 for 2 days now without a reboot. was previously rebooting several times a day

3 Posts

December 14th, 2017 07:00

I have a similar issue with random reboots on battery only use. But I can still put the brightness up or down.

14 Posts

December 14th, 2017 16:00

Currently speaking to a Dell technician. He personally recommends downgrading to BIOS 2.1.0 as that is the fix that seems to be working for everyone. He just helped me install 2.1.0 on my own Dell XPS 13, so the timer starts...let's see if this thing shuts down. If after 3 weeks, there is not a single shut down, then it is confirmed: BIOS 2.1.0 is the fix.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2017 19:00

Updated to 2.4.2 and still get random reboots. Computer will not let me downgrade to 2.1.0

3 Posts

December 14th, 2017 19:00

2.4.2 still has reboots. Tried to downgrade to 2.1.0 but system will not allow downgrade.

1 Message

December 30th, 2017 04:00

A new Bios version released yesterday v2.5 www.dell.com/.../driversdetails

But it doesn't seem to fix the shutdown issue for me :(

I can predictably recreate a crash by running on battery and running a speedtest.net test in Chrome.

It crashes the laptop nearly every time. On AC power it doesn't crash.

I've tried it over WIFI and LAN(with WIFI disabled) and it crashes with both.

No Events found!