Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 20th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 13 9360 USB ports strange behaviour

Got my XPS 13 9360 today & noticed odd USB behaviour, namely that the 2 ports are behaving very differently. Dell tech support can't find a solution so whilst they work on it I'm curious if anyone else has this. Odd behaviour as follows:

1) Trying to create recovery media with 16GB flash drive - when plugged into right hand USB the recovery creator says "drive must be at least 16GB" & NEXT button is greyed out. If I try again & de-select 'back up system files to recovery drive" I get a similar message but saying "drive must be at least 512MB" & again the NEXT button is greyed out.

(I appreciate that a 16GB drive only has 14.8GB useable capacity but the 2nd option only needs 512MB!)

When plugged into left hand port, recovery creator detects the same 16GB no problem & NEXT button is available to start creating recovery media.

2) When USB flash drive & a Sandisk Extreme 500GB is connected to righ hand port, there is no Autoplay pop up. But when plugged into left hand port, AutoPlay pop up appears & makes usual noise.

3) There is no 'safely remove USB' icon in task bar when either drive is plugged into right hand port, but when plugged into left hand port, the icon is there.

For both ports though, USB drive is shown in 'My PC' & able to read/write files.

Any thoughts really appreciated! Thanks :)

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 26th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for posting your query here.

This seems to be a driver issue, please try to format the drive in ntfs format & check on the same port again.

·        Disconnect all devices from your computer

·        Open device manager and expand universal serial bus

·        Right click on the driver & click uninstall ( do the same for all drivers)

·        Update chipset & bios by entering your service tag here http://dell.to/1SZoqSB

·        Restart the computer & make sure all windows updates are completed. 

1 Message

November 13th, 2016 06:00

Hello :)

I had this same exact issue, also on my XPS 13 9360.

I just tried the above, and it didn't work out

I am going to call the technical support

Have a nice day

--

Oliver

15 Posts

November 13th, 2016 11:00

Hi, yeah the above advice was pretty generic & was done by Dell Tech Support anyway.

They're still working on a fix - I get the odd email saying they've escalated it etc but it seems a widespread issue.

Worth reporting as the more of us that do, the more likely they are to fix it...

1 Message

November 27th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you get a solution in the end?

Thanks

1 Message

December 3rd, 2016 01:00

Hello everybody,

I'm an italian user of XPS 9360 and I have the same problem on my Dell: right USB port has the same strange behaviour.

Moreover there is a problem with Dell Command | Update: when I look for new drivers, the operation doesn't finish because there's an error called GUI-UVM15 (no components found to process). Did you get a solution??

1 Message

December 23rd, 2016 10:00

On my just arrived 2016 (XPS13 9360) the right USB port had this problem that also included not recognizing mice correctly (no sounds on plugging and unplugging, touchpad remaining active) even though it moved the cursor around.  Updating the BIOS to v1.2.3 did not do the trick, but installing all available items under Chipset on the Dell site (8 when I did it) solved the problem.  It is a shame Dell sends out machines that might require over 20 driver updates before things will work correctly.  I assume that since Dell Detect gets the Service Tag, the listing you get is what you need to update when "show all" has not been checked.  Also,  It does not appear that Dell Update software that is on the computer does its job correctly either.  The day after I did the BIOS update I asked Dell Update to determine what I needed, and it said BIOS, but I already had the latest BIOS!

13 Posts

December 30th, 2016 08:00

Hi everyone. I'm having this same problem. USB device shows up in windows explorer, but autoplay does not work, no sound when inserting USB, no "safely eject" icon, etc. The problem is only on the right side. Left side works fine. There are no issues in device manager, and I've reinstalled all of the chipset drivers as suggested. Still not working. Any suggestions?

15 Posts

December 30th, 2016 12:00

Well I tried the solution posted by DellGuyN & it worked! Downloaded & installed all updates from the Dell website for the XPS 9360 - there were quite a lot! Not sure which one fixed it though. I notice that most of the updates were dated late November/early December.

Quite comically I keep getting emails from Dell Support asking me to give them a time they can call me - the only advice they have been able to offer is to update BIOS (which although one of the newer updates on Dell's site I had already done & obviously didn't work). It seems Dell Support don't know what's on their own website!

Also, as mentioned above, Dell's own update software isn't great as it didn't detect that any drivers etc needed updating! Not great...

13 Posts

December 30th, 2016 15:00

I've downloaded all of the chipset/usb related drivers, and it still doesn't work. Hmmm...

13 Posts

December 30th, 2016 15:00

OK, fixed. Even though I had the most up-to-date BIOS, I reinstalled it...and voila!

3 Posts

December 31st, 2016 20:00

So trojanrobmc, do you mean the bios update v1.2.3 fixed it. Or both bios and chipsets reinstall.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2017 15:00

Worked with Dell support. Tried a few things including PC reset. Eventually the bios update to v1.2.3 fixed it.

1 Message

January 17th, 2017 03:00

Same problem happens with mine. It does not work out of the box for usb drive. However, it worked for usb mouse receiver. Then I had assistance with Dell (3 reps) and no luck. During the remote assistance with Dell, the laptop was put into a safe mode and the USB port detects and read my USB stick. However, after a restart and go into a normal mode, it does not detect the usb drive anymore.

My bios is 1.2.3 and I did reinstall by download the file from dell website and run it, restart and still does not work.

Any help?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 17th, 2017 06:00

If you look in Device Manager, in the USB section you will see some USB Root Hubs.  Some of those, if you look at their properties, will have an Advanced tab.  Open that tab and there may be a Reset Hub button you could try.

On my system, Inspiron 17, the right USB port is 2.0 and the left is 3.0.  Which driver may need to be reinstalled might depend on the port involved.

1 Message

June 19th, 2017 10:00

I have struggled with this, and just fixed mine. My left side USB port worked properly, but the right side only worked for a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. It would not work for a thumb drive or a mouse. I went into device manager, Universal serial bus controllers, USB Root Hub (USB 3.0), Power Management, and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It now seems to work properly.

No Events found!