Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 06-19-2017 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 13 9360 USB ports strange behaviour

Got my XPS 13 9360 today & noticed odd USB behaviour, namely that the 2 ports are behaving very differently. Dell tech support can't find a solution so whilst they work on it I'm curious if anyone else has this. Odd behaviour as follows:

1) Trying to create recovery media with 16GB flash drive - when plugged into right hand USB the recovery creator says "drive must be at least 16GB" & NEXT button is greyed out. If I try again & de-select 'back up system files to recovery drive" I get a similar message but saying "drive must be at least 512MB" & again the NEXT button is greyed out.

(I appreciate that a 16GB drive only has 14.8GB useable capacity but the 2nd option only needs 512MB!)

When plugged into left hand port, recovery creator detects the same 16GB no problem & NEXT button is available to start creating recovery media.

2) When USB flash drive & a Sandisk Extreme 500GB is connected to righ hand port, there is no Autoplay pop up. But when plugged into left hand port, AutoPlay pop up appears & makes usual noise.

3) There is no 'safely remove USB' icon in task bar when either drive is plugged into right hand port, but when plugged into left hand port, the icon is there.

For both ports though, USB drive is shown in 'My PC' & able to read/write files.

Any thoughts really appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies (15)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

OK, fixed. Even though I had the most up-to-date BIOS, I reinstalled it...and voila!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

So trojanrobmc, do you mean the bios update v1.2.3 fixed it. Or both bios and chipsets reinstall.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Worked with Dell support. Tried a few things including PC reset. Eventually the bios update to v1.2.3 fixed it.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Same problem happens with mine. It does not work out of the box for usb drive. However, it worked for usb mouse receiver. Then I had assistance with Dell (3 reps) and no luck. During the remote assistance with Dell, the laptop was put into a safe mode and the USB port detects and read my USB stick. However, after a restart and go into a normal mode, it does not detect the usb drive anymore.

My bios is 1.2.3 and I did reinstall by download the file from dell website and run it, restart and still does not work.

Any help?

5 Rhenium

If you look in Device Manager, in the USB section you will see some USB Root Hubs.  Some of those, if you look at their properties, will have an Advanced tab.  Open that tab and there may be a Reset Hub button you could try.

On my system, Inspiron 17, the right USB port is 2.0 and the left is 3.0.  Which driver may need to be reinstalled might depend on the port involved.

2 Bronze

I have struggled with this, and just fixed mine. My left side USB port worked properly, but the right side only worked for a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. It would not work for a thumb drive or a mouse. I went into device manager, Universal serial bus controllers, USB Root Hub (USB 3.0), Power Management, and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". It now seems to work properly.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor