Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2017 05:00

Dell XPS 13 9360, weird performance problems with 32bit apps

Hi dear Dell, I have a quite powerful Dell laptop (i7 Kaby Lake, 16Gb RAM) and still feeling frustrated from time to time due to horrible performance.

I'm using it for six month, for now, first I was on Linux, but due to the problem I'll describe below I shifted back to Windows 10. Although, it doesn't seem to help me much.

I tried to narrow the problem and looks like GPU-intensive 32-bit apps are to the blame.

It's effortless to reproduce: download and install meetings client for zoom.us, which is still 32-bit for some reason, join a room with a few people using cameras or sharing their screen and you'll instantly get near 100% CPU usage, howling fans and slow system.

UEFI and drivers are up to date, of course.

Also, I tried to install 32-bit version of the Microsoft Office 365 and it works noticeably slower than 64-bit version.

All this is quite annoying and frustrating. Halp.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 08:00

Hi Robert. The laptop was shipped with Windows 10, I installed Linux by myself.

Windows was restored using USB flash with the restore image downloaded from Dell.

But I had exactly the same problem with 32-bit apps on Linux. Actually on two different flavours of Linux with two different kernels. I tried Ubuntu 16.04 and Fedora 26.

So, it's not likely that my Windows copy is corrupted, looks more like a hardware problem to me.

9.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 08:00

Hi sdfgh153,

Thanks for posting.

Was your system ordered with Linux, or was it installed after the purchase? 

When Windows 10 was installed, was it a clean install? or was it done using the restore media?

It sounds like either the Windows 10 is corrupted or was installed over itself and is having problems.  You may wish to start over and format the disk before installing the new OS.

9.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 09:00

Okay, if that's the case, then run a hardware diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup or by using Dell Support Assist.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

3 Posts

October 25th, 2017 01:00

Diagnostics can't find any problems, which is not surprising.

Could I provide your technical team with additional debug info to troubleshoot my problem? I'm ready to give any information if you name it.

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2017 08:00

Sure, please contact the Tech Support team at the above information.  Thanks.

No Events found!