Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 4th, 2015 22:00

Dell XPS 13 Battery Charging Light

May be a silly question but is there any way to dim or turn off the light that is at the base of the touchpad when the laptop is charging?  I have my screen colors warmed for use at night and the backlit keyboard turned down as well, but so far I have not found any way to dim this guy.  Any help would be appreciated!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 6th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no option to alter the brightness of the battery light.

1 Message

April 17th, 2015 11:00

Hi, Will there be an update to allow this? It's extremely annoying when you're browsing or watching Netflix in bed while it's plugged in. The light is blindingly bright in a dark setting. Please update!!!

1 Message

May 5th, 2015 21:00

I second these people. Since it is an LED it obviously cannot be dimmed, however, at least give us the option to turn it off completely. I don't get it. This is my first PC in 10 years and so far it is pretty good, but it is the small details that I simply do not understand that you guys overlook. No one wants all of these lights on their notebook. Literally not a single person in the entire world wants this light.

May 15th, 2015 18:00

I agree with the other people. Deeply annoying to have a blinding light shining from your computer at all times of day and night when it is plugged in. Should be an option to disable it.

1 Message

June 12th, 2015 21:00

The light at the base of the XPS 13 that lights up when charging is bright enough to light up a significant portion of my room when it's charging at night.  Love the laptop but I ended up putting duct tape over it.

Anyway to set a setting so it doesn't light up when charging would be much welcome.

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 12:00

The laptop LED power indicator is elegant - except for this GLARING shortcoming.

It's great that it starts to flash orange/red when your on low power - you really get a sense of urgency to plug it in. Once you plug it in, it's comforting to get the solid white light...for a minute or two.

Who thought it would be cool to leave the light permanently on when it's plugged in? It's totally unnecessary and of as everyone here has pointed out, extremely distracting in the dark.

Let's summarize the LEDs on the XPS13:

• Power Button | Very Minor Distraction
  • Adapter Pin | Moderate Distraction
  • On the Front Panel | EXTREME Distraction

There was a Simpsons where Homer became an inventor  and created numerous devices. The one that comes to mind is the smoke detector that goes off every 10 seconds - - to alert you that everything is OK. This episode might have been Dell's inspiration.

Please Dell, let us control the LED in a future update.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2016 14:00

Still no update on this one? Don't want to put duck tape on such a beautiful laptop. The light is annoying...

May 21st, 2016 14:00

Agreed. Just spent 2400 euros on this ultrabook and can't even turn off that light. Also the light on the charging cable is really annoying. All these bright lights are annoying in a dark room, especially when watching movies.

1 Message

July 9th, 2016 04:00

Second the thought..please please give us an update with option to turn off the light ..thanks..

1 Message

July 12th, 2016 19:00

Log one more vote for fixing this please.  Very annoying.

1 Message

July 16th, 2016 16:00

I have this same problem but I think I have found an elegant workaround. Cut some black electrical tape and place it over the light. The tape is soft and blends well with the color scheme of the computer. It can also be removed easily without damaging the laptop. This would work until Dell allows us to manually configure the charging light.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2016 13:00

Love my 2015 XPS13 but this LED charging light is also driving me crazy. Hope that Dell will take into consideration this discussion into the 2017 design.

@Dell: Any news on how we can turn this  light off?

I couple more suggestions on how to improve the design of this laptop:

1. Re-design the adapter pin. If you cant do something similar to Apple's magnet pin, at least add a bend into it so it doesn't stick out the way it does.

2. Bottom cover screws. They tend to get loose.

3. Not sure about other users, but I have never used the 5xLED battery indicator. Seems like a waste of resources.

1 Message

November 27th, 2016 22:00

This is an issue for me too. I am contemplating opening up my laptop to physically disable the battery charging LED in the front panel.

I highly would like Dell to take a look at this issue and make an option to disable this battery charging light. If other people are facing this same issue, please log in and make a comment.

November 28th, 2016 03:00

... chiming in to rant about these aggressive LEDding, both front and adapter.

I also did not use one single time the batt status row.

I would not spend a dime on mag-adapter, but an angled one would be preferred.

Even my router allows lights to be switched off. Purgy

December 4th, 2016 09:00

Is anyone found a good solution yet? One that doesn't involve duct tape?

It's really distracting while trying to watch movies and stuff.

No Events found!