Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 2nd, 2017 20:00

Dell XPS 13 Black Screen - cause for OS reinstall - happened again after reinstall during driver updates

My son's laptop 'died' earlier this week. Screen just went blank. In the end, I decided to rebuild the drive.

After much difficulty, I managed to reinstall the OS (Windows 10) and all seemed well.

Oh, except the reinstall does not provide even WiFi drivers at a minumum - so after figuring that out I had to dig that up too on another computer and transfer/install. Problems over... I thought.

As the XPS went on its way to update drivers - the screen suddenly went blank (hello! haven't we met before?)... made some melodious beeps and chirps as though trying to communicate (it wasn't morse code) and now the computer continues to hum away (the fans?) with that.... black screen.

Before I wipe everything and re-install, again, and perhaps let the machine run with old drivers at the risk of malicious attacks etc (small price to pay for a 'working' computer I suppose), might anyone know of solutions to this problem?

With thanks in advance.

Signed,

Frustrated but Hopeful

2K Posts

June 3rd, 2017 00:00

Hi ASHAROM,

What is the exact system model?

Is there any damage / liquid spillage on the system?

For the beeps, first we need to check if the HW is functional:

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. Also, run an extended / thorough tests on the HDD and memory to check for any possible errors. 

Drivers: If you are using a retail image of Win 10 OS, it will contain only the OS installation files, since the OS is generic. The hardware on each system would differ and hence, the drivers need to be reinstalled. If you are using a recovery image for your system, then it would contain the required drivers with the OS image.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!