Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2017 01:00

Dell XPS 13 - Internal display blacks out after DELL splash screen

Hi guys,

My display has been working fine so far, suddenly from today my internal display doesn't work. I've restarted many times, downloaded all the latest DELL updates for the DELL XPS 13 laptop, it doesn't seem to do the trick. I do see the DELL splash screen before it just goes dark and nothing can be seen. With an external monitor I get to see everything I would expect to see, i.e. login to Windows as usual. Once I remove the external USB-C cable, used for the display, I'm plunged back into darkness. If I restart in safe mode (Network), the internal display works again, so it can't be a hardware issue. There is something wrong with the drivers, maybe caused through a Windows Update, I don't know. Help would be appreciated, I need to be able to work without the external monitor.

9.4K Posts

January 12th, 2017 06:00

Hi mmuschalik,

Thanks for posting.

In order to fix this Windows 10 display/graphics issue you need to repair the graphics driver such as Nvidia graphics driver, GPU driver, Intel HD graphics, AMD graphics or any other.

The main causes of these issues are, while upgrading to Windows 10 it will remove anything that is not compatible with it, as well as drivers. So that, if you are getting graphics issues then it is because of the outdated graphics driver, corrupted video driver, damaged or missing system graphics driver.

Windows 10 updates are conflicting with Nvidia’s driver system that causing display problems because of the Microsoft’s mandatory update policy for Windows 10. In order to solve this issue:

Go to Windows Update and install package KB3073930 while checking the “prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed” box.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2017 09:00

Dear Robert

I have a Dell XPS 13 (Intel Chipset 520 HD) , and I have the same problem. I tried to upgrade again and again, but my primary monitor was always black. I also reload windows 10 again and again. Everytime when I completed the new installation of windows 10, it is just fine, but when the windows update was turning on and the Intel 520 HD is updated, the primary became black again. I disabled the Intel chipset 520HD driver, and the primary monitor finally became normal. Could you please to upgrade the driver ASAP?

No Events found!