Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2014 11:00

Dell XPS 13 Processor Fan Failure?

Hello there,

I was on my laptop today for a good 2/3 hours while it was charging and decided to run a diagnostics test on the laptop.

It was during this that I received as PSA V4216 failure on the Processor Fan

I ran the tests again and the laptop passed.

I then ran the test again and recieved another failure

I then decided to turn the laptop off for 10 mins and come back. I ran the diagnostics and the laptop passed.

I then had to go out for 4 hours and came back and ran the diagnostics twice. The laptop passed the tests both times.

I just wondered do you feel this was just a random occurance as the laptop was on and charging? The fan hasn't given the impression it is failing, it works when put under any stress and the laptop itself isn't any hotter than normal. I just thought this may be because I was on the laptop a while and running the diagnostics just caused a "failure"

Hope you can advice

Thanks

18 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 12:00

Just to add, I ran the test again and it failed

However, the numbers still appear as over 4000 RPM

I am concerned, I have no warranty and thus no idea how much this will cost to replace.

Like I said the laptop doesn't really seem to be any hotter or the fan failing. It turns on when it needs too and turns off when the laptop is deemed cool enough

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 2nd, 2014 13:00

There are a number of different XPS 13 models - the fan will cost $50 or less.   There is also the possibility that it's a thermal sensor that has failed - meaning a replacement mainboard (minimum of a couple of hundred dollars) -- replace the fan first.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=search&search=xps+13+fan

18 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 07:00

Hello there,

I just ran a full diagnostic through the Dell site rather than pressing F12 at start up and my laptop passed.

Does this test include the fan?

It really does seem to be working when needed, do you feel that this is the start of a problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 08:00

If the system passed the Dell diagnostics and isn't misbehaving, don't worry about it.

18 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 09:00

Thanks alot. yeah it seems to be fine, isn't overheating and the fan turns on/off when needed. The only problem is that it intermittendly fails the F12 boot up fan test. It passes more than it fails. I'll keep a close eye and see if anything develops

No Events found!