Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2012 10:00

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook Hinge issue

Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. Purchase date: 5TH JUNE 2012 Still under warranty - New unit. I called the Malaysia service hotline already but to no avail.

Left hinge attached to the display screen has a noticeable wide gap. The gap on the left is very much larger than that on the right hinge. Photos of defect below: (click to enlarge)

I Have contacted Dell customer service (Number 1800 88 1304), and sent them photos showing the defects but they refuse to repair it. The excuse given by dell is that defect in hinge gap is not covered under the warranty. They refuse to repair the hinge gap, and insisted that it not being covered by the warranty. In my opinion, this is a manufacturing error. I'm really out of options and really frustrated here. This unit is less than 2 weeks old, yet has such obvious cosmetic defect already. It is really frustrating that Dell is not living up to its supposedly excellent customer support service standard. This is my first Dell laptop, and I'm quite disappointed with the service by the call representative. Would like to know if there is any other way I can demand for a repair? I strongly believe that this hardware defect can be solved easily by Dell technician. Perhaps by simply taking off the back cover, remove the 4 screws holding the display hinge, reposition the metal bar, then screw the bar in the correct position again to remove the ugly gap. There is even a video of how to repair here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zabdVbouA...10&feature=plcp
I don't want to void the warranty, that's why I wish that Dell technician can do the repair for me. Any idea what other number or who can I contact to get help ?

4.4K Posts

June 21st, 2012 06:00

Hi Joseph1991,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry about your experience with support.To further check request you to private message me your system service tag number.To private message,accept my friend request,click on my user name and on the right click start conversation.

Thank You

March 27th, 2013 11:00

Is there an Dell reapiur coverage on a XPS 14z with a broken LEFT hinge once the 12 month warranty is expired?

4.4K Posts

March 28th, 2013 01:00

Hi  Minister222,

If the system warranty has expired you will need to contact Expired Warranty Service for repair.

For contact information for Expired Warranty Service refer to this link(US region) : http://dell.to/14q0tiO

Let me know if you need contact information for any other region.

Thank You

1 Message

July 1st, 2013 11:00

Roshan,

I have an XPS 14z still under the one year warranty.  I also experienced the hinge problem but within the space of one week, it has gotten really bad with the screen pulling out of the casing.  Please let me know if this is covered under warranty.  I called Dell and they told me that I have to pay $179 to get this fixed!!!  I'm very upset that I was asked to pay so much for essentially a new laptop.  Dell claimed that this is not a defect but looking at all the people writing in on this issue, I think Dell has to consider a design flaw here.  I live in the US.

Thank you,

Anna

4.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Anna,

Please private message me your system Service Tag number, along with some pictures showing the screen(where its has come off the casing/bezel) and also hinge (if it has physical damage or shows loose fit).

To private message click on my user name and click start conversation. I will check your system details and get back to you.

Thank You

1 Message

March 30th, 2014 06:00

I have the exact same problem - Noticeable gap on the left hinge but more than that, the lid is becoming very loose.  Is there a way to tighten?

No Events found!