Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2017 16:00

Dell XPS 13 blank screen, back light on.

Hi!

I have a Dell XPS 13 9333 from 2014. The computer has a dual Windows Linux installation, and has aways worked perfectly. Some days ago, I started up the laptop and there was no Dell logo or anything in the screen, although the backlight was working. I though the computer was totally broken.

After connecting it to an external monitor, I realized that the computer was actually working, but somehow the LCD was not receiving any image. I tried booting the computer in the LCD-test mode (pressing D at startup) and the screen seems to work fine. I also opened the computer to check whether the LCD was correctly connected to the motherboard, and it looked fine to me.

I don´t know what to think now. Because if the LCD test is run internally by the LCD integrated chip, then my guess would be that the problem is in the graphic card. If on the other hand the test is performed by the graphic card, then I would think is a problem with the LCD conector or cable. Last but not least: The computer sends images when connected to an external monitor once has loaded Linux. But since that is drivers dependent, I am not sure what does that says about the state of the graphic card.

Any advice or coment would help. The laptop is still quite powerful, and I would like to repair it. I wouldn´t like to buy a new screen or a motherboard and that the problem was somewhere. Could it be some problem with the ACPI? Also, can somebody tell me how much it would be to take the computer to a dell reparation service? I mean the reparation cost, not the parts.

Thank you!

PS: I couldn´t access to the BIOS or Windows because I can´t see anything until Linux (default operating system) is loaded.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

AndresdPM,

Reinstall the Windows operating system and drivers back into the computer to see if that will resolve the issue. If that does not resolve the issue contact Dell Support in your country. If you are in the US you can call 1-800-624-9896.

Resolving Laptop LCD Issues

30 Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

Hi, have you try to run the ePSA to check if there is any hardware failure?

You can try to shut down the system, perform a drain flea power if possible.

Then try to perform the ePSA using FN + Power Button.

If you are able to go into Windows via external monitor,

you may also try to update or reinstall the BIOS.

If it's under warranty, I would suggest to call Dell in your respective country to get it fix.

Else you can only try by swapping known good LCD cable or worst case scenario, motherboard.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

Hi Jesse L

I managed to start windows by blindly pressing F12 at startup, and then pressing down a random number of times. This selected Windows on the grub menu. Windows seems to work fine, but as Linux no LCD screen image whatsoever.

In Windows I started the factory reset of the laptop. Unfortunately, as I expected, I can't see anything on the screen once Windows restarts. Neither an external monitor works. The display port won't be operative unless some graphic drivers are working for which you need the operating system (Windows or linux) to be loaded. Now not even Windows is able to start.

Since the LCD is not working on both operating systems,  nor at the startup when VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE) are in use, I would think either is a hardware problem, or some BIOS-ROM problem. As I wrote in my previous post, the LCD test (power button + D) works perfectly.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

Hi shafwan2204,

I am afraid that Windows is now in trying to factory reset the computer, and when I try to start it I can't see anything on the screen (external or LCD).  Probably its asking me some information so it can start resetting all the computer, who knows. Linux still working perfectly. I think I will try to flash the BIOS from Linux (If I find how).

The computer is not under warranty. It goes without saying it, that if the reparation cost is comparable to get a new laptop, then I will go for the later option.

Thanks!

No Events found!