Jamie.F
1 Copper

Dell XPS 13 keyboard lag post warranty motherboard replacement for coil whine

Hello all,

Owner of a Dell XPS13 9350 which had coil whine audibly apparent from the top left corner of the keyboard/base and was at its worst when connected to AC.

After living with this issue for several months I finally decided to contact Dell Support.

To their credit, a week later a technician came to me to replace my motherboard.

This is unfortunately where my new problems started.

Immediately following the replacement, the keyboard was displaying an obvious pronounced lag between key strokes and anything registering on screen. The tech suggested it would improve with time, or that he could come out another appointment to reinstall windows.

Since this work, my laptop has been, for all intents and purposes, useless.

I have created a usb live boot of ubuntu which has displayed the same fault.

Windows 10 was also re-installed to rule out that possibility.

So, currently, I am left midway through study of the most difficult subject I will be studying, with a laptop that is completely useless for taking notes. As the laptop was purchased purely for studies, this i understandably frustrating.

Also, during this repair, the speakers on the laptop have stopped working!

Attempts have been made to contact Dell Support Australia, but they do not seem to appreciate the urgency of the situation.

Would any members here know of any further steps I could take to try and resolve this issue as quickly as possible?

Regards

Jamie

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Dell XPS 13 keyboard lag post warranty motherboard replacement for coil whine

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to our community.

We understand your concern. We regret the inconvenience caused and we certainly understand the importance of having a fully functional system especially when you are studying. Rest assured you’ve reached the right department and we are here to assist you. Having said that, please let us know

>> If you’ve tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue?
>> What is the Operating system currently installed in the system?
>> Were there any software changes made to the system apart from reinstalling the Operating system?

Also, share the following information via private message, so that we can check for more details and assist you. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1. Service tag/ express service code
2. Email address
3. Registered owner’s name of the system

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link http://dell.to/2q1k3Ug which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

0 Kudos
Jamie.F
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 13 keyboard lag post warranty motherboard replacement for coil whine

Hi Lijo,

Thanks for your reply.

Since this post I have had two further technician visits and attempted repairs without success on the keyboard front. The speakers have been swapped and are now working correctly once again.

I am on my third keyboard, third motherboard, second keyboard IO board, second keyboard IO board to motherboard cable.

Various live boot OS's have been tried (Windows and various Linux distros including Ubuntu and Fedora), I have reinstalled Windows 10, USB keyboards work fine, the on screen keyboard in windows works fine.

I have attempted reinstalling keyboard drivers by removing them in device manager.

I have updated BIOS on all motherboards to 1.4.15.

The tech was very helpful that has visited the last two times and attempted isolating the battery, ssd, touchpad, along with swapping the parts provided (keyboard, io card, motherboard & cable)  last visit which didn't resolve the issue. As of the last visit the keyboard is often not working at all, even prior to system POST. I now have a non functioning power indicator led in addition to the coil whine and non functioning keyboard as of the last visit.

My concern now, is the reliability or serviceability of the replacement parts being used to repair my system after witnessing several new faults be induced over the past few weeks. As I understand Dell uses refurbished parts to perform repairs. As my laptop has had quite light use, I feel this is a bit of a lottery. I could be getting a board that has been used in an office dock and running 24/7 potentially!

Will there be any extension of warranty to cover me for potential issues that may arise due to the volume of work that has been carried out, being that these ultrabooks use very lightweight/delicate ribbon connectors for the majority of connections.

There was literally no change to the system from when it was working fine to when the keyboard lag appeared aside from the initial tech changing motherboards and the associated disassembly and reassembly.

Unfortunately the coil whine that prompted the initial service is still present also.

I will pm you the details you requested.

Regards

Jamie

0 Kudos
Jamie.F
1 Copper

Just an update for other members of this community. Today I had my fourth visit from a Dell technician. Multiple parts were changed (motherboard again, another keyboard, a new palm rest, another few bits as well). Finally we had success with the keyboard lag disappearing! Unfortunately after the tech left I discovered the touchpad was loose and making a noise when I tap on it as though it had some free play within the chassis (initially I thought this was just the desk I was on). I phoned Dell pro support to report this problem and arrange yet another repair (5th attempt to repair the laptop). About 10-15mins after getting off the phone my laptop turned off and wouldn't turn back on. When I try to power on the laptop the power button led illuminates for about half a second, no keyboard backlight, no screen activity. The led then goes out. I tried AC adapter, no change. AC adapter led is on indicating power to the charger. The charging led on front edge of the laptop doesn't light up. If I hold the power button to hard power off the front edge led illuminates. Upon trying to power on again the power button led comes on for less than a second and charging led on front edge goes out. This is getting beyond ridiculous, frustrating is an understatement. How many more times do I need to give up part of my already busy day before I have a fully functioning laptop as I paid for? I have seen the level of support Dell provide for their corporate customers, all I can say is it's been a very different experience as a retail purchaser!
0 Kudos