Thein Win
1 Copper

Dell XPS 13 laptop battery swollen and touchpad lifted.

Does anyone experience with dell touchpad lifted up by swollen battery?

My XPS13 is purchased on December 2013 so the warranty is out long time ago.

Other than touchpad issue, everything is working good and need advice how and where to replace touchpad and battery. My service Tag is

<Service tag removed>

0 Kudos
23 Replies
8 Krypton

RE: Dell XPS 13 laptop battery swollen and touchpad lifted.

XPS L321x, 322x?  Which model?

The service manual depends on the exact model, but you should get the battery out of the system ASAP before it swells to the point where it damages the casing, keyboard or palmrest.

Dell generally charges about $170 for any repair other than a screen or mainboard replacement - see here:

www.dell.com/.../out-of-warranty

The battery requires just screwdrivers to change - you can also do it yourself.

0 Kudos
ATEC2
1 Copper

I also have a swollen battery on my XPS 13, purchased July 2015, still under a 3-year warranty. I think the battery is excluded from this, and only has a 1-year warranty. Which seems harsh, seeing as this seems to be a design fault, given that my battery still works well in all other areas and is holding good charge.

I'm in the UK and I contacted Dell to find teh cost of a replacement. They said they don't stock them, and gave me the name of an independent supplier who also doesn't stock them.

I'm concerned that if I buy one from another 3rd party that I'll invalidate the warranty on the rest of the laptop. There was no point discussing this on the Dell webchat as the customer service rep had extremely poor communication skills and wasn't making a lot of sense.  

0 Kudos
D Watson
1 Nickel

Same thing happening here on a November 2015 XPS 13 9350. Very unhappy.

0 Kudos
oneota
1 Copper

Same problem on my end, on an XPS 13 9350 purchased in the US in November 2015. Opened it up to find it swollen to twice its original size.

0 Kudos
Rangdaa
1 Nickel

Dell UK agreed to an out of warranty exception on my XPS 13 9350 and replaced my battery, palm rest, keyboard and touch pad - 18 months old.

0 Kudos
CBMe
1 Nickel

Got my XPS 13 9350 in Dec 2015 and it just did the same thing.   Never had this serious safety issue happen on any laptop before, mine or any of my family/friends/coworkers yet Dell wants to treat it as though it is a battery that is just not holding a charge, "totally normal".  Screwing consumers and putting their safety at risk to save a few $.    

One thing I can tell you for sure is that I will never again have that problem on a Dell laptop...  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Contact Dell - they are replacing these even out of warranty.

0 Kudos
kevintobrien
1 Copper

My XPS 13 (9343) battery swelled about 2 years after purchase. It warped the keyboard, and stopped the touchpad from working.

Dell told me they are replacing the battery for free for a different model of XPS 13 that swelled because that battery is defective, but they said the battery for the 9343 model is not defective even though it had the exact same problem, so they are not replacing batteries for the 9343 model.

I had to pay $250 to have a new battery installed. I suspect I'm going to have to do this every 2 years. I'm not happy.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It's not unusual for a lithium ion battery to need replacement every two years or so - the design life is 18-24 months.  And one downside to thin and light systems is that they leave no room for steel-cased batteries - so replacing them before they swell and damage the system is critical.  This is common and has been for years in the Mac world.  It's new to PCs.

0 Kudos