drjs
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 13 laptop battery swollen and touchpad lifted.

Having same problem with XPS 13 9333. Trying to get Dell to replace battery at no cost to me. They're claiming only 9550 model is being replaced. Computer still works, but keyboard warped, trackpad raised. Trackpad scrolling/pointing still works but not clicking. Started getting error message at boot up telling me battery is permanently damaged. Phone conversation with Dell tech support not encouraging: they keep insisting model 9333 not a problem, only 9550. Have requested escalation to see if I can convince them to replace battery on my 9333, since it's exactly the same problem everyone's describing for other models. They want $170 to do the repair. I want them to declare 9333 as eligible for no-charge repair as other models. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I was tempted to buy a new XPS 13 (I'm on my 2nd one, the 1st one still works). But if new XPS 13 will have same battery problems as old one, why buy Dell again?  

Also, I've read online that replacement battery may no longer be available for 9333 model, even via Dell.

Anybody have additional information? Thanks.

XPS13-9333 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (delivered Jan 2014)

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

At 3.5 years plus in age, that battery is well beyond its design life.  Batteries that fail inside or just over a year old are defective.  Batteries that fail after 3 years are dead of old age and use.  

Every single system of this type (ultralight, with prismatic batteries having no steel shell) is subject to swelling -- whether because of defective manufacture or simple old age.  

OEM batteries are still available for this model.  If Dell doesn't have them (they may or may not,  as after three years the system is considered end of life), try parts-people.com or another Dell parts seller.

0 Kudos
vince_mnstr
1 Nickel

I'm having the same problem here in France with 2 XPS 13 9333 in my company. Dell told me that only 9550 can be repaired out of warranty. for this problem.

I wrote a mail to Dell french legal service to claim to a repair. I'm afraid they won't care...

Anyway, I'm considering going away from Dell and their poor support in time. The battery isn't available for replacement on their website so they really think that you should send your laptop to a garbage and buy a new one every 2 years? That's what we call planned obsolescence in France and we can engage legal action against this behavior.

0 Kudos
vince_mnstr
1 Nickel

And what's more, if you go into the bios, it claims that the battery is in good health!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

The 9333 is more on the order of 3-3.5 years old - so a worn-out battery (and yes, they do swell at end of life) is not unexpected.  Get the battery out of the system -- and you can very easily source replacements.  Lithium ion/polymer batteries are good for 300-500 charge cycles or 18-24 months -- and they are consumable items, just like brake pads on your car or toner in your printer.

0 Kudos
drjs
1 Nickel

Thanks for various replies/comments.

1. Dell refused to repair/replace at no cost, they want US$170 to replace battery, repair as needed keyboard/trackpad (swollen).

2. If I'd known about lifespan of internal battery, and that I could have it replaced before it started swelling and damaging system, I would have done so. Nobody mentioned this problem, and I never thought about it until problem started occurring this year.

3. I have various other laptops, including an old XPS M1330 from 2008, that still work, although their batteries don't hold charges anymore. Yes, these aren't the internal battery as the 9333, but still, they are old batteries, and none has ever damaged their systems before this 9333.

4. I can understand a battery failing after its end of life period. I cannot understand a battery failing and DAMAGING THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, which is what has happened. This is why I think Dell should repair the damage at no cost. I had paid for 3 years of top level support for my 9333, why didn't they contact me to warn I should be replacing battery before it damaged entire laptop? That's my issue: the failed battery has damaged the entire machine.

5. I couldn't afford to take time/risk of sending machine to Dell for repair (which might not work, anyway, they might not have battery, the machine might not still work after being warped). Maybe someday I'll spend the money at a local repair shop.

6. Believe it or not, I bought a new XPS 13 only because Dell offers with factory-installed Ubuntu (I tried other vendors, not happy with their machines). But this time, I'll know ahead of time to have the internal battery replaced before it fails. So far, the new XPS 13 works well, except for very awkward camera placement in bottom left corner of screen - you can't look people in the eye while chatting and see them on screen at same time. Super awkward, would have been better placed in middle bottom of screen. Other than that, so far so good with the new XPS 13, but I'm still unhappy about the older 9333 battery damaging the computer.

vince_mnstr
1 Nickel

Your answer is not acceptable. In My company, I have dozen of laptops in my company. I only saw a battery inflating in a very old Macbook (7 years old). I'm ok with you that a battery performance decrease in time but it should not inflate and destroy the hole computer!!! And the BIOS & Windows tell that the batterry is in good health.

vince_mnstr
1 Nickel

Googd news, I've just received a call from Dell France and they finally accept to repair both laptops with the battery inflated!!!

I'm so happy to get paied for my perseverance 🙂

drjs
1 Nickel

Congratulations, Vince, I agree with you 100% that a failed/dead battery should not damage an entire laptop. Good news that Dell France has agreed to repair your laptops at no cost. When I'm ready to get mine repaired, I will tell Dell USA about your case and expect my 9333 machine to be fixed at no cost also. Keep us posted here with progress on your no-cost repairs from Dell so that others like me can use your case as precedent to get other 9333 machines like mine repaired at no cost as well.

0 Kudos
vince_mnstr
1 Nickel

Hello

Dell will send a guy tomorrow to fix the 2 laptops. I don't know yet if he'll change the battery or also the touchpad.

I'll keepp you updated

Regards