karljoseph
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 13 screen flickering

Jump to solution

I just experienced the same issue on my 19 day old Dell Inspiron 14r. Just a few hours ago... 😞

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19564285.aspx

0 Kudos
aat03
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It worked! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Matrixation
1 Copper

Jump to solution

******UPDATE******

The user that mentioned changing the "Enable Adaptive Brightness" setting to OFF, is correct for some people. That will work...for some.

IF that does not work...the ONLY solution I found, dealing with this for over a year, is to change the screen output to projector and back to LCD. That ALWAYS works for me; however, once you reboot, sometimes it will revert back to the flicker but by changing the Enable Adaptive Brightness to OFF, the duality of these operations seems to be a sufficient remedy.

Hold Fn  the button down, then press F1  four times until the Projector output setting is selected then let go. The screen will go black, obviously, because the laptop thinks you're using a projector. Then, just push Enter and it will go back to the LCD screen. The flicker should be gone...until perhaps after a reboot.

This is SO extremely frustrating since this is supposed to be their Flagship Laptop product. 

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

mao633
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I want to share with you the nightmare I have had since today with the Dell xps13 I purchased about 1 year ago. The computer is well known for having an unsolvable problem called: “screen flickering” and it seems that Dell cannot solve the problem nor replace a broken machine. The issue is even well known on their official community: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19480522.aspx

Here it is my adventure:
1. 01/07/2013 – I bought the Dell xps13 (Service tag :<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>)
2. 01/07/2013 – the Dell xps13 I bought present the problem named: screen flickering (http://goo.gl/TJZRQv)
3. 09/2013 – screen replaced with a new one (the problem hasn’t been solved)
4. 05/10/2013 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
5. 05/10/2013 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
6. 22/10/2013 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
7. 29/04/2014 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
8. 12/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
9. NB. NOBODY OF THE PEOPLE CONTACTED HAS NEVER ANSWERED TO ME
10. 12/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
11. 15/05/2014 – motherboard  replaced with a new one but the technician breaks the bottom part of the computer because he can’t open it properly (the problem hasn’t been solved)
12. 16/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
13. 22/05/2014 – Dell asks me to send my Dell xps13 to their factory so I ask for a replacement computer to keep working, they refuse and set up a new at home intervention
14. 26/10/2014 – I ask Dell to directly replace my computer, it is not worth to replace screen and motherboard once more and it costs more in terms of timing to me and costs to Dell than replacing with a new (working) computer (in contact with:<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
15. 30/05/2014 – I am now contacted by a new tech team and it starts again: they suggest me to install drivers video (ahah I know … this is true story) but they immediately realize they cannot sort it out by phone so .. they schedule a new intervention. I agree with them by phone that this is the last technical intervention before they will completely replace the computer with a new one) (in contact with: contacté par<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
16. 11/06/2014 – motherboard + screen + bottom damaged are replaced but this time the problem goes even worst : http://goo.gl/08V9Zr now I can’t use it anymore when the screen flickers
17. 22/06/2014 – I asked Dell to replace my computer but they do not answer to the mails anymore (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)

I was a brand lover of Dell, in the last 10 year I bought only Dell and I evangelized my friends to do the same but Dell just does not care about this. I think this is definitely the last Dell I will ever buy and it is a matter of justice that all the people that want to buy a new Dell xps13 are aware of what they risk.

0 Kudos
Username78
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Oh no. My Dell XPS 13 arrived yesterday... I was enthused until I noticed the flicker tonight. I've already noted the annoying, high pitched sound when the back lighting for the keyboard is on... Imagine if Dell could produce a laptop without these two major problems? Feeling rather disappointed now 😞
0 Kudos
dilewis
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you, this solved this rather annoying problem for me!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
orgramos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

How was your problem solved?  I am having the same issue as many continue to have.  Dell replaced mother board, and many other parts.  Nothing was replaced with screen,  Had to send my laptop to the depot to avoid continue wasting my time via tel.  Got my xps 13 laptop back from the depot without no problems found.  And 15-min after using it, flickering started again.  Than you dell!!!  Obviously, they run auto-tests, without no one observing the display behavior.  As another post indicate, I have also been with dell for many years and this is flickering frustrating...  C'mon dell you can do better!!!

It is more annoying knowing that many are having the same problem and dell seems to not care at all to address this issue via direct communication to dell xps owners. 

0 Kudos
bbuabin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Please listen carefully! If you're unit is still under warranty or you just bought it, RETURN it ASAP!!

Dell will play hookie with you (send it to them, they don't resolve the issue, they send it back to you ...) until your warranty runs out, then you'll find out what Dell stand for - a piece of  company, if you ask me.

My unit is un-usable at this point due to the flickering. It's so bad that I completely takes over the control of the machine. Is this what I paid for??? Dell? How can so many people experience the same problem and have your techs do nothing? Yes, you took my money and made a fool of me but can't let you have the last laugh.

I'm going take this to every social media outlet that I can find. I can't sit back and let another person be victimized.

Dell, you're on a notice!

0 Kudos