Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2012 01:00

Dell XPS 13 screen flickering

Hi, I've had my laptop for a few days now and I've noticed some issues with the screen. It flickers ever so lightly randomly. Seems like the screen slightly dims on random occasions and is quite noticeable. Happens more when the AC is not plugged in. I've contacted technical support with no help on the issue at all. The ambient sensor is off as this is the worst ambient sensor I've ever dealt with. The brightness is at 100 percent. The screen just doesn't seem bright enough at times. Any ideas? I've reinstalled windows 8 twice already and still the same problem.

April 29th, 2014 23:00

******UPDATE******

The user that mentioned changing the "Enable Adaptive Brightness" setting to OFF, is correct for some people. That will work...for some.

IF that does not work...the ONLY solution I found, dealing with this for over a year, is to change the screen output to projector and back to LCD. That ALWAYS works for me; however, once you reboot, sometimes it will revert back to the flicker but by changing the Enable Adaptive Brightness to OFF, the duality of these operations seems to be a sufficient remedy.

Hold Fn  the button down, then press F1  four times until the Projector output setting is selected then let go. The screen will go black, obviously, because the laptop thinks you're using a projector. Then, just push Enter and it will go back to the LCD screen. The flicker should be gone...until perhaps after a reboot.

This is SO extremely frustrating since this is supposed to be their Flagship Laptop product. 

I hope this helps.

1 Message

August 27th, 2014 19:00

Thank you, this solved this rather annoying problem for me!

1.1K Posts

December 11th, 2012 01:00

Hi MatthewJPayan,

I will recommend you to run the LCD BIST (LCD diagnostics) on your system to make sure the functionality of the LCD is fine:

• Turn off the system.
  • Press and hold 'D' and press the power button at the same time; make sure you do not release 'D' until the diagnostics initiates.
  • Please check if the screen flickers when the color bars are displayed.

In case the LCD diagnostics pass, I wil recommend you to change the power plan settings on your system:

1. Switch to dekstop Interface.
  2. Press Windows key + W keys simultaneously on the keyboard.
  3. Type 'Power options' in the search box and click on 'Power options'.
  4. Click on 'Change plan settings' depending on the power plan selected on your system.
  5. Click the drop down arrow next to 'Dim the Display' and change it to 'Never' for 'On Battery' as well as for 'Plugged in'.
  6. Click on 'Save changes' and observe your system.

Please reply with the findings.

December 11th, 2012 10:00

I tried doing the power off hold the power button and D at the same time thing, but with no luck. I tried several times. and It loads a little progress bar under a dell log but then goes right to the start screen after. I'm running windows 8. Is there any other way to get to the diagnostics? I also went to power options and put never on both options and it still flickers.

1.1K Posts

December 12th, 2012 00:00

Hi MatthewJPayan,

Please observe your system in BIOS and check if it flickers:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F2' as soon as the Del logo appears.
  • Check if the flickering happens.

You can also check the flickering issue in 'Safe Mode with Networking':

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Del logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.
  • Please observe your system and let me know if it does the same thing.

Please reply for any further questions.

February 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hi, I too have the same exact problem. I bought two exact XPS 13 Ultrabooks and only one of them does the screen flickering. I am a loyal and faithful patron to the Dell Corporation. Please address this issue. Going to the BIOS does nothing for this random issue. I cannot duplicate the issue as is happens at random. I believe this could be a physical flaw but only your company can verify this. The reply you gave to the other patron/member was not a solution for me. Please advice and contact me as soon as this issue is resolved.

21 Posts

March 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

I have a similar experience. I have the Dell Developer Edition Released in Europe. 

The left side of the screen yesterday evening suddenly started to go on full brightness, the brightness controls only work on the right side of the screen. And if i alter the brightness, the computer start to make sizzling noise (loose electronic connection sound).

Checking BIOS with F2, shows nothing usefull.

Any ideas? I suspect this not a software issue.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2013 17:00

My laptop had the same issue, and it has been bothering me for quite a while. I tweaked around with the battery options today and seemed to find a solution!

Click on the battery icon in the notifications bar (in the bottom right corner of the screen), and click 'More power options'.

In the new window, click on the 'Change plan settings' for the current active plan.

Click open 'Change advanced power settings'.

Scroll the scroll bar of the new window to the very bottom, or until you find the option 'Display'.

Click on the plus sign of 'Display', and then the plus sign next to 'Enable adaptive brightness'.

Change the settings to 'Off' by double clicking on the blue word 'On" to open a dropdown bar with the two choice 'Off' and 'On'.

Click 'OK' to close the window and save the changes, and the screen should no longer flicker in brightness.

Hope this worked for everyone who sees this.

21 Posts

May 4th, 2013 04:00

My reason was quite different, I had a technician come and repair it. A screw had gone loose, which had caused damage to motherboard and display. I got a new display and motherboard fitted.

1 Message

December 4th, 2013 00:00

This worked great. I hope anyone with this annoying flickering display finds this post and answer. Worked on my win 8.1

1 Message

December 7th, 2013 06:00

My settings under adaptive brightness are already set to "off" so unfortunately this must not be the solution for me. Any other suggestions? As others have said, it is a random problem that is unpredictable 

8 Posts

March 1st, 2014 02:00

I just experienced the same issue on my 19 day old Dell Inspiron 14r. Just a few hours ago... :(

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19564285.aspx

1 Message

March 1st, 2014 06:00

It worked! Thanks!

1 Message

June 25th, 2014 00:00

I want to share with you the nightmare I have had since today with the Dell xps13 I purchased about 1 year ago. The computer is well known for having an unsolvable problem called: “screen flickering” and it seems that Dell cannot solve the problem nor replace a broken machine. The issue is even well known on their official community: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19480522.aspx

Here it is my adventure:
1. 01/07/2013 – I bought the Dell xps13 (Service tag :<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>)
2. 01/07/2013 – the Dell xps13 I bought present the problem named: screen flickering (http://goo.gl/TJZRQv)
3. 09/2013 – screen replaced with a new one (the problem hasn’t been solved)
4. 05/10/2013 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
5. 05/10/2013 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
6. 22/10/2013 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
7. 29/04/2014 - I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
8. 12/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
9. NB. NOBODY OF THE PEOPLE CONTACTED HAS NEVER ANSWERED TO ME
10. 12/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
11. 15/05/2014 – motherboard  replaced with a new one but the technician breaks the bottom part of the computer because he can’t open it properly (the problem hasn’t been solved)
12. 16/05/2014 – I informed Dell technical support that the problem hasn’t been solved (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
13. 22/05/2014 – Dell asks me to send my Dell xps13 to their factory so I ask for a replacement computer to keep working, they refuse and set up a new at home intervention
14. 26/10/2014 – I ask Dell to directly replace my computer, it is not worth to replace screen and motherboard once more and it costs more in terms of timing to me and costs to Dell than replacing with a new (working) computer (in contact with:<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
15. 30/05/2014 – I am now contacted by a new tech team and it starts again: they suggest me to install drivers video (ahah I know … this is true story) but they immediately realize they cannot sort it out by phone so .. they schedule a new intervention. I agree with them by phone that this is the last technical intervention before they will completely replace the computer with a new one) (in contact with: contacté par<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)
16. 11/06/2014 – motherboard + screen + bottom damaged are replaced but this time the problem goes even worst : http://goo.gl/08V9Zr now I can’t use it anymore when the screen flickers
17. 22/06/2014 – I asked Dell to replace my computer but they do not answer to the mails anymore (in contact with :<ADMIN NOTE: Non-public info removed as per TOU>)

I was a brand lover of Dell, in the last 10 year I bought only Dell and I evangelized my friends to do the same but Dell just does not care about this. I think this is definitely the last Dell I will ever buy and it is a matter of justice that all the people that want to buy a new Dell xps13 are aware of what they risk.

1 Message

August 16th, 2014 06:00

Oh no. My Dell XPS 13 arrived yesterday... I was enthused until I noticed the flicker tonight. I've already noted the annoying, high pitched sound when the back lighting for the keyboard is on... Imagine if Dell could produce a laptop without these two major problems? Feeling rather disappointed now :(
No Events found!