Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2013 07:00

Dell XPS 13 typing special characters with keyboard

I'm unable to type special characters with my Dell XPS 13 with Windows 8 pre-loaded. E.g. when typing "^" followed by "e" one should normally get "ê"

My previous XPS 13 with Windows 7 pre-loaded worked fine. I have loaded all the latest drivers but the functionality is still missing. Is there a setting that needs to be switched on? Or are the drivers still missing for Windows 8?

Help will be appreciated

2 Posts

April 21st, 2015 07:00

Where is this option, I can't find it.

I need to type italian capital accented letters. Thanks

2 Posts

July 11th, 2016 17:00

Greetings, 

Apparently, you have to enable/disable special character generation using the following sequence?

"Fn + Ctrl + LShift"

Please confirm. If true what key sequence would you have to enter to create "ê"?

Normally, it would be "ALT-138" ...

Please advise.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre

3 Posts

July 4th, 2017 18:00

Thank you for this comment. I am in the same boat. I will be selling a 6-month-old XPS and buying a new laptop. This is inexcusable on Dell's part.

3 Posts

July 4th, 2017 18:00

This does not work on a Dell XPS 13 9360. I was told today be Dell support that I would need to use an external keyboard or use the Win Char Map. Epic fail on Dell's part.

9 Posts

January 5th, 2018 00:00

Here is how to use special character on windows 10

1- Press windows+x key from keyboard and select control panel from power user menu.

2– Select fonts  from Control Panel Window.

3– Click on Find a character  from the left column of  fonts window.

You can also simply search character map by just typing character map on search box.

4– You will see a medium sized character map windows pops out on your screen with several distinct special character.

5- Click on the font section. It has a huge variety of fonts to choose from. Each fonts has its own set of special character. Choose the character you want to prefer by scrolling down the list and as soon as to bring your cursor on character an enlarged view of that character will pops out.

6– After choosing the character click on the select button. You will also see the Keystroke of that special character on the bottom right corner of the window.

7- Now click on the copy button.

8- The selected special character is now copied on your clipboard. Now you can easily paste it in desired location.

Source:- merabheja.com/.../

No Events found!