Michael Stuart
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 (ultrabook) Trackpad problems

I agree - the XPS 13 is a lemon - stay away from the Dell XPS 13 - it has a trackpad/touchpad that is barely useable, you have to use an external mouse with it, thus your portability is nixed.

0 Kudos
jumpmanjay
1 Copper

the trackpad on this laptop is infuriating.

i, too, have had the issues that others have mentioned on this page (the movement during taps, the complete loss of any scrolling after windows 7 update)...and now since that windows update, i had to install the new version to get gesture scrolling back. this version has the most infuriating issue to date-

sometimes (and by sometimes, i really mean sometimes. some days i will not have the issue all day, but some days, i have this issues a few times) ALL of my trackpad inputs will lag behind by one step. what i mean is this- say i move the cursor, it will trigger my last input.

ie-

-move pointer up, no pointer movement happens on screen

-move pointer down, pointer goes up (the first movement)

-move pointer right, pointer goes down (the second movement)

-move pointer up, pointer goes right (the third movement)

etc.

sometimes this issue lasts for only a few seconds, but sometimes it lasts for multiple minutes. i cannot tell you how frustrating this issue is when it is happening.

after having so many great dell laptops (d620, e6420) being forced to use this work-issued turd is very difficult.

Michael Stuart
1 Copper

There is no answer from Dell that works, follow the links they have to waste your time, have the touch-pad replaced under warranty to waste more. Only use it with a mouse and tape over the touch-pad since its worthless. I gave my Dell XPS 13 to one of my kids to play with, and got a Lenovo X model as many other commentators have.

0 Kudos
yousafsajjad1
1 Copper

I am planning to get XPS 13 but after hearing about the touchpad issues, I am certainly double minded. I hope Dell folks fix this issue asap.

0 Kudos
therealjasonv
1 Copper

Is there an update regarding this? My XPS 13 touchpad  same issues. How about an updated driver?

Thanks.

Never mind, found it ... hope it works.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-13-l321x?driverId=XR5Y4&fileId=3000389340&osCode=W764

I just installed and quickly tested. It has a nice new interface and seems to be functioning rather well. At least much better than the previous version.

0 Kudos

Foremost I can say the laptop performs with the exception of the touchpad.

The issue I have experienced with the touchpad was left click only seems to work is I move the mouse then attempt to left click (*a high failure rate like 90% of the time)

Also when scrolling long pages like facebook; if you pause while still left clicked then attempt to scroll further your left click action seems to have "expired"

Just trying the new drivers now.

So nice they made me register a new account to post here.

0 Kudos

Please note after the driver upgrade my right click no longer works. I will try to report back on the left click after more testing.

Joy.

0 Kudos
Suneel G
1 Copper

Looks like Dell finally fixed all the issues with trackpad. I just installed 2.5.3.35 A04 version on Windows 8 and is working great. The UI for trackpad also looks awesome. Glad I didn't return my XPS 13. All this time Dell wanted to send in a technician to replace the touchpad. It wouldn't be a hardware issue if a trackpad feature  works fine with one version of driver and fails in other version. Thanks a lot Dell for releasing a new driver. I will keep buying from Dell. You made my day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jumpmanjay
1 Copper

this version is the worst yet!!! 

the option "two finger click for shortcut menu" does NOTHING. NO MATTER WHAT, TWO FINGER CLICKS OPEN THE SHORTCUT MENU. THIS IS INFURIATING. 

I am literally ready to throw this laptop out of the window. When typing, my palm is constantly hitting the trackpad and triggering the shortcut menu. then, if i am typing quickly, my keystrokes are registering commands on the shortcut menu. 

:LAKNDOIEWNCOIWHRWELHDIUEWNLCAJH*#QHR(ODIJANK

0 Kudos
therealjasonv
1 Copper

I installed version 2.5.3.35 A04 a while ago and it's a big improvement over the previous version. The only problem I have now is that a tapping (clicking) on the right side of the mouse pad sometimes doesn't cause a response. Everything else seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos