Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2012 09:00

Dell XPS 13 (ultrabook) Trackpad problems

Hi,

First of all I am really disappointed in Dell. Come on guys... you build an ultrabook with such good material, carbon fibre and etc. Go all the way through to make it light and durable and then install a trackpad that is so problematic? WHYYYY...? Don't you do any testing prior to release?!

Anyway, here is my problem. I have updated my ultrabook to the latest drivers, both touchpad and quickset and BIOS and... (everything). The touch pad (two finger scrolling, pinch zoom, 3 finger genstures..) all works. What drives me crazy is a simple "single tap click"! In random times when you click on something (single tap) it just wont click and stays the way it is until you move your finger over from where you clicked and then suddenly the click takes into effect. Its like that the single tap click is attached the the event of moving and it won't work until you move your finger (tiny bit) from where you clicked. And you cannot believe how annoying it is!

You know what? I really don't want to return this Ultrabook, as everyhting else works perfectly, and it is just shameful for the name of Dell to use such a buggy touchpad and after 4 months still not being able to programm a driver which resolves ALL the issues we are having. We all have read what other users have been through for the past 5 months until these drivers came out.

SO, hey DELL get stuff moving and develop a good driver, we all know writing a driver is sooo simple for your developers.

Regards,

Shahin.

January 31st, 2013 16:00

Please note after the driver upgrade my right click no longer works. I will try to report back on the left click after more testing.

Joy.

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 14:00

Looks like Dell finally fixed all the issues with trackpad. I just installed 2.5.3.35 A04 version on Windows 8 and is working great. The UI for trackpad also looks awesome. Glad I didn't return my XPS 13. All this time Dell wanted to send in a technician to replace the touchpad. It wouldn't be a hardware issue if a trackpad feature  works fine with one version of driver and fails in other version. Thanks a lot Dell for releasing a new driver. I will keep buying from Dell. You made my day.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

this version is the worst yet!!! 

the option "two finger click for shortcut menu" does NOTHING. NO MATTER WHAT, TWO FINGER CLICKS OPEN THE SHORTCUT MENU. THIS IS INFURIATING. 

I am literally ready to throw this laptop out of the window. When typing, my palm is constantly hitting the trackpad and triggering the shortcut menu. then, if i am typing quickly, my keystrokes are registering commands on the shortcut menu. 

:LAKNDOIEWNCOIWHRWELHDIUEWNLCAJH*#QHR(ODIJANK

February 14th, 2013 11:00

I installed version 2.5.3.35 A04 a while ago and it's a big improvement over the previous version. The only problem I have now is that a tapping (clicking) on the right side of the mouse pad sometimes doesn't cause a response. Everything else seems to be working fine.

11 Posts

February 20th, 2013 18:00

I have version 2.5.0.52 and I am experiencing the problems listed in this thread.

I agree with the person who said it seems like it's only recognizing the mouse-down event. On scroll bars I'll often tap and have the mouse stay active and scroll down very quickly.

This version of the drivers DOES NOT fix the issue.

--Brad

11 Posts

February 20th, 2013 19:00

Bah. I should have read more carefully. 2.5.3.35 seems to have solved the problems. My palm on the large trackpad will always be an issue... I can work around that but the tapping seems to have been cleaned up.

Thanks, Dell!

1 Message

March 5th, 2013 23:00

I think that's why Dell give you a Microsoft Arc wireless mouse with the purchase of this laptop.. lol

1 Message

March 6th, 2013 18:00

I have Windows 8 on this machine and am still having click issues - WHY is this trackpad so bad.  My brothers company of 1000 people for 1:1 was asking for a rec, but i will be recommending something else

6 Posts

March 12th, 2013 14:00

I've got the same issue (Windows 8), trackpad doesn't register tap clicks, mouse cursos freezes on screen. Checked with all drivers from dell drivers page (uninstall old and install new) with many BIOS version (A03-A07). All with Dell engineer.

No real fix and no solution. Brilliant.

I will repeat myself: We have notebook from 21st century, man jumps from space and Dell has got a problem with bloody trackpad! :(

8 Posts

May 13th, 2013 10:00

I have had nothing but issues with the track pad for 6 months.   I love the computer but the track pad is CRAP.   I've experienced all the same issues and now have some in reverse.  I don't use tapping, I always turn it off.  The stupid track pad now recognizes tapping about 50% of the time even though it's disabled.  I have done every software, bios, driver delete, re install Dell has advised.  I've re installed my OS 2x.  Every fix they come up with makes something else worse and they have NO solution!     They want me to send my laptop off with a tech even though I have on-site service - No Fing Way!  Last time it cam back blank.

I would advise EVERYONE to stay away form the XPS13 until they get  new track pad manufacturer.  This is horrible.

8 Posts

May 13th, 2013 17:00

I agree - gave mine to one of the kids and got a Samsung  S9

1 Message

May 31st, 2013 16:00

I am currently having the same problems described by others in this post. Single clicks are impossible to manage in this trackpad. Any help?

11 Posts

June 1st, 2013 06:00

The standard response to the "click-stick" or single-tap issue is to load the latest driver. Palm rejection still sucks, but it is what it is. (I'm the one guy who used to like the IBM trackstick.)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 10th, 2013 15:00

Please contact me if any of you are still having problems with the Trackpad on your XPS 13 and have already tried updating to the latest Trackpad driver.  Just click on the link in my signature and then click start conversation.  Please include the service tag of the notebook in your message.  

Thank you

TB

8 Posts

June 10th, 2013 17:00

So I click the link and nothing happens...kind of like the trackpad!   Ironic.

oh, Trackpad still sucks BTW.  People refuse to use my laptop because of it.  Now every time I boot the computer I have to reset all the settings as they won't seem to save.

No Events found!