Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2012 09:00

Dell XPS 13 (ultrabook) Trackpad problems

Hi,

First of all I am really disappointed in Dell. Come on guys... you build an ultrabook with such good material, carbon fibre and etc. Go all the way through to make it light and durable and then install a trackpad that is so problematic? WHYYYY...? Don't you do any testing prior to release?!

Anyway, here is my problem. I have updated my ultrabook to the latest drivers, both touchpad and quickset and BIOS and... (everything). The touch pad (two finger scrolling, pinch zoom, 3 finger genstures..) all works. What drives me crazy is a simple "single tap click"! In random times when you click on something (single tap) it just wont click and stays the way it is until you move your finger over from where you clicked and then suddenly the click takes into effect. Its like that the single tap click is attached the the event of moving and it won't work until you move your finger (tiny bit) from where you clicked. And you cannot believe how annoying it is!

You know what? I really don't want to return this Ultrabook, as everyhting else works perfectly, and it is just shameful for the name of Dell to use such a buggy touchpad and after 4 months still not being able to programm a driver which resolves ALL the issues we are having. We all have read what other users have been through for the past 5 months until these drivers came out.

SO, hey DELL get stuff moving and develop a good driver, we all know writing a driver is sooo simple for your developers.

Regards,

Shahin.

11 Posts

June 11th, 2013 07:00

Your graphic footer links only to the jpeg image... not to any tool that allows for conversations. Just FYI.

11 Posts

June 11th, 2013 07:00

I notice that too. It's ok between reboots but every time I update the driver it resets the controls to palm rejection = "abysmal" rather than "terrible" and it resets my "ignore trackpad on usb mouse" setting. Luckily not that difficult to set back but I'd rather have a control panel that looked more traditional and worked rather than the multimedia extravaganza that is the current panel. :-)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 14th, 2013 11:00

HoZr and einarsen,

I have sent you both friend requests; please accept so I can get the information about your systems.  

Any of you other XPS 13 owners that still having problems with the Trackpad please contact me.

TB

11 Posts

June 14th, 2013 13:00

Request accepted. If there is anything you can do about Palm-open-context-menus-while-you're-typing-and-execute-random-actions that would be awesome!

June 16th, 2013 12:00

Hey Terry,

What is it exactly are you doing for people having this issue? I spoke with you a while back and you suggested I needed my Laptop repaired. Not sure what needs to be repaired. and if there is a hardware issue I'd like on-site service. I shouldn't be required to sent my laptop in. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue. Please post a new driver.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2013 13:00

I can offer services to have the Trackpad replaced.  If you are having problems with the cursor jumping all over the place, and notice the problem even after uninstalling the cypress driver and using just the Windows mouse driver then I certainly do suggest having a service.   If you notice that you have a lot more control on the cursor with just the Windows driver then as service is unlikely to help.

I am also looking to see if engineering and cypress is working on a new Trackpad driver and once I find more information I will post back here.

TB

11 Posts

June 17th, 2013 14:00

The problem I have is with palm rejection. I'd love to be able to just turn off the right and left (but mainly right) 2cm+ of the pad so that I can type without physically holding my palms above the surface. The Macs in the office seem to have this problem solved and the hardware can't be that different, so I assume it's a driver issue.

If you can just give me control over the dead zone or produce a better algorithm (as per Mac example)  that would be awesome.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 17th, 2013 17:00

einarsen,

I take it the palm rejection settings in the Cypress drivers didn't help much.  They may be a setting either to disable the Trackpad while typing in the driver, or to hide the cursor while typing in Windows mouse drivers that may give you more control while typing.

I will post here as soon as I find out if we can expect a new Cypress driver or not.

TB

11 Posts

June 25th, 2013 07:00

Still waiting for any news from you, Terry B.

11 Posts

Yup. My problem too. My favorite is when the right palm triggers the context menu and you execute 10 commands because you're still typing. We haven't found a solution yet except gym workouts to allow you to hold your hands above the keyboard when typing.

I wonder if a towel over the trackpad would work... hmmm...

Another thing I've noticed is that it seems to get MORE sensitive if I keep my palms away from it. Once it triggers and I rub my palms on the trackpad it becomes less sensitive (until I keep my palms away for a while).

That's a clue for the driver guys, Terry B.

1 Message

Terry,

I have a new XPS 13, model L322x, running Win 7 64 bit with the latest track pad driver posted 6/4.  I am having a lot of trouble with the cursor jumping while typing.  I have the palm rejection turned all the way up and I have increased the touch pressure as much as I can stand it.  Not sure what to do next.  It is a great ultrabook otherwise but it is really frustrating when typing to just have the cursor move around on you.

Thanks,

Aaron

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Terry,

I thought I solved the trackpad issues by disabling the smart move functionality of my mouse. No such luck. It appears that after a while the tap functionality stops working on the right side of the trackpad. This happens most when responding to Windows dialog boxes. Please get Cypress to provide a new driver and ask them if they actually fully tested it with this laptop.  Thanks.

No Events found!