Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

May 12th, 2014 20:00

Dell XPS 1340 battery not charging Charger and battery seem OK

I have a dell XPs 13 (1340) which is about 4 years old.

The battery was getting old and finally losing charge under 2 hours.

All of a sudden the battery stopped charging.

1. I have 3 chargers, one that came with dell laptop, another one is also a dell that came with a different dell laptop and a third generic one. All three used to work fine and they still work fine with my other dell. But can not charge this laptop battery. So charger should not be a problem.

2. The battery icon shows as blinking red X and not charging symbol and stays at 7%. When I go to battery meter it shows discharging. I first suspected as battery being dead and ordered another battery. Thought it was original dell on Amazon but the seller sent a generic one. When I installed that battery, it shows as 7% and does not charge either. I can briefly disconnect and move to a different place and connect back and I do not lose any info.

3. When I powered by removing the battery, it complained saying no battery installed.

So based on #2 & 3 above it looks like the battery is recognized in the laptop.

4. While the laptop is connected to power supply, it still works fine. So the charger connection should be OK.

5. When I looked in BIOS, it shows NONE as power adapter. So this is confusing.

6. Today, while working on the laptop the charger must have accidentally disconnected and after few minutes laptop suddenly shutdown. When I powered back up with charger, the battery now shows 0%. So I must have used up the 5% on one of the batteries.

What could be the problem? What else I can try? Based on my above testing I do not suspect battery, power charger or connections.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 12th, 2014 22:00

Hi kcdude1,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
3. You will now be on the BIOS screen
4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 13th, 2014 05:00

This would be the part to replace first:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5883

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to replace the mainboard.

2 Posts

May 13th, 2014 05:00

As I mentioned in my original message, I already looked the  bios screen and it says 'none' for all three chargers. I doubt the 3 chargers went bad at the same time as they work fine  with my other dell.

No Events found!