Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2013 02:00

Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook noise problems

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Dell XPS 14 ultrabook and it is probably just about two months old now. Everything was so perfect until just yesterday the laptop started to make a quiet fast-paced clicking noise inside it. I don't know where it is coming from but all I know is that the noise is definately inside the laptop. It starts usually about 2-3 minutes after turning the laptop on and then lasts for about 1-3 minutes. Is this normal? And is there a way to stop this noise? I know its just something little but I just think it's not normal to have this problem for such a new laptop.

Please help me out here,

Thanks

16 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 19:00

Hi PerthSookwan,

I understand it can be annoying to get unusual noise form the computer. Please share some more information on the issue so that I can assist you in a better way:

• Where is the clicking noise more prominent; left side, right side, bottom panel?
  • Share the model number of the XPS 14 Ultrabook series laptop.
  • Share the version of operating system installed on the laptop.

Please clean the air vents and update the system BIOS for your computer.

Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  • Turn off the System.
  • Unplug the AC Adapter.
  • Remove the Battery.
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

After cleaning the air vents, run diagnostics tests on the system.  Following are the steps to run ‘Dell Diagnostics’:

• Power off the computer.
  • Restart the computer; press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu

Please share the results.

If the test passes, update the BIOS of the system.

Hereafter, check the BIOS version installed on the laptop. Press Windows + 'R' key, type msinfo32 and press Enter. 

Locate the BIOS version. If it is the latest BIOS version, the BIOS update is not required. If not, update BIOS.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
* The battery is 10% or more than 10% charged.
* The AC adapter should be connected.
* No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

Steps to update BIOS:

• Click the link http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Type the Service Tag of the system
  • Choose ‘BIOS’ from the dropdown.
  • Click ‘Download File’.
  • Select ‘Single-file download’.
  • Click ‘Continue’
  • Click ‘Save’
  • Choose the location as desktop, save the file on the desktop.
  • Right click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
  • Restart the computer.

Please share the findings.

March 7th, 2013 18:00

Thank you so much for solving my issue with my laptop! I found out that it was the fan at the back of the bottom off the laptop which was making the noise. I don't have the right tools to open up the laptop but I'll go to a shop which can do it for me and clean the air vents and the fan.

I couldn't thank you more!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 7th, 2013 18:00

Since the system is under warranty, call Dell and have the fan replaced.

March 8th, 2013 19:00

If I do that do I send them back the laptop and they install the new fan? Or do they send a the fan and I'll have to take to a store and get someone to install it for me?

No Events found!