Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2017 18:00

Dell XPS 14Z Broken LCD Display

Hi,

The LCD Screen of my Dell XPS14Z is completely broken and a replacement is quite expensive. The laptop however is completely fine. I wanted to remove the entire Display assembly and discard it, so that I can just use the rest of the Laptop and hook up the display to my Smart TV through HDMI. The problem however is that as soon as I remove the LCD Connector Cable from the LCD Screen, and boot the Laptop, I keep getting 8 beeps and the laptop doesn't boot further or display to the TV. So have to connect the cable back and then the laptop would boot and output to TV, not a problem. 

Can I please ask for some advice how to go ahead so that I can remove the entire display assembly and then just use the laptop base connected to TV.

Thanks in advance.

SB_DELL

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2017 05:00

There is no way to remove the display assembly and have a functional system - you must have a working, recognized screen attached in order for the system to complete its power on self test and continue booting.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2017 22:00

Thanks enj63. I was under the impression that if the display cable disconnected at both ends (LCD & Motherboard) it will do the trick. But if you say its impossible then I suppose no point trying.

No Events found!