Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2015 20:00

Dell XPS 15 9530 Coil whine / Current noise

Hello everyone and Dell!

I just purchased a xps 15 9530, with core i7, 16gb of ram and 1.0tb of hdd, no ssd. The laptop is fantastic in all aspect like display, keyboard, and surprisingly heat management in this compact laptop.

BUT, After a few days of use I had noticed a strange, high pitch noise from from the upper left corner where the AC adapter is plugged in. The noise is a low volume but high pitch coil whine, that is not significant, but very very annoying when used in silent. 

I did some research and found out this is very common in this laptop. But a lot of the discussion is very dated.

I wonder, currently is there any solution to this problem? To Dell or anyone with this experience.!

Thanks!

9.4K Posts

June 18th, 2015 12:00

Hi GeorgeQ,

Thanks for posting.

The newer systems have modifications so that the noise is not noticible under normal conditions. After all, it is a machine and machines make noise.  If you feel that the noise is too much of a problem to deal with, you can contact Tech Support, but as long as the diagnostics pass, and there are no errors, there's not much else that can be done.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!