Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9530 - NO POWER - Please Help - Will not power on

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9530 and it will not power on at all. The power supply works as it has a light on - but no power at all - no signs of life on the laptop itself.

I put it to "sleep" and now it will not power on at all. I have another identical XPS 15 which I have used to troubleshoot the problem using parts.

Here are the steps I have tried:

1. Disconnect internal battery, drain static/flea power by holding power button for 30 seconds and try on AC only as well as with battery reconnected and on AC power.

2. Use power supply from other laptop.

3. Use battery from other laptop.

4. Disconnect and reseat memory modules.

5. Disconnect and reseat SSD.

6. Motherboard replaced (twice).

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm comfortable disassembling the laptop if you have any other suggestions to get power to the machine. 

Thanks!

3 Posts

April 21st, 2016 03:00

The light on the power adapter stays on when connected to the system.

There are no lights on the laptop itself. Not even if I push the charge/power button on the side with the 5 lights.

Replacing the motherboard actually did help get power to the system, but as soon as you send it to "sleep" again, it fails to power on. 

It WILL power on from shutdown (normally) but not from sleep. But since it's been sent to sleep it's completely dead...

2K Posts

April 21st, 2016 03:00

Hi LEWSTA,

Rather unfortunate that you had two motherboards replaced and the system will not power on again.

Based on your description, you have already tried most required steps.

Only query - Does the light on the power adapter stay on or does it go off when connected to the system?

If there are no leds seen, I would suggest to replace the motherboard and the DC cable on the system.

If the system is under warranty, then contact us via Twitter - @dellcarespro for faster communication or write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details. If there is no warranty, then we can help with a paid service call if required.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

April 21st, 2016 12:00

Hi LEWSTA,

Was the BIOS updated after the motherboard replacement? When was the last replacement on the machine?

Since you state that there is no indication of any power on the system, I suppose the motherboard again needs to be replaced. But this time, as advised in my previous post, consider replacing the DC cable again.

If the service call was booked by Dell, please send me a private message with the service tag and your contact details, so I could review the same.

Is the system still under warranty?

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 05:00

Yes the BIOS was updated.

I have private messaged you. The system should still be under warranty.

1 Message

July 24th, 2017 13:00

I had exact same problem.  Push power button - nothing.  It happened intermittently and finally - after an express return trip to Dell and two tech visits - was replaced.

Can I take harddrive out and put in an external enclosure to recover data?

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 07:00

I get the same problem,  and for 5 times! they send engineers to repair it by replacing mothboard and then it happens again later. I bought 6 dell laptops, but will never.

No Events found!