Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2014 19:00

Dell XPS 15 9530 will not wake after sleeping

I got my XPS 3 days ago and I've had the lingering issue of the computer not wanting to wake from sleep when I try to open the laptop again. The keyboard and power button lights up like it's working, but the screen never comes back on and I have to restart the computer. Any suggestions for this new computer to work without crashing?

2 Posts

April 1st, 2015 01:00

I'm having this issue as well now. After getting a new motherboard after bios-update-fail I now can't sleep/suspend. So it really seems like a motherboard issue!

My Dell contact is now investigating this issue and will get back to me with a possible solution (at least I hope so)

For now I'm using hibernate (which can start up in about 5-6 secounds with Intel rapid start, so I can live with it, while they figure it out.

Hoping for a solution soon.

2 Posts

April 16th, 2015 03:00

So Dell should come today with a new version of the motherboard. Hoping this will fix it.

April 18th, 2015 09:00

New Dell XPS 15 Jan 2015, had the issue of it not waking or powering on. New motherboard fitted under warranty this week seems to have addressed it. 

Not impressed with quality from Dell, given that this issue seems to have been happening a lot over a long period of time.

7 Posts

June 9th, 2015 08:00

How's your XPS holding up after the motherboard replacement, Jonathan?  Had it replaced in the XPS I use for work, but now about four weeks later the _exact_ same issue is back.  Close the lid or use power button/Windows menu to put the laptop to sleep, and it will never wake again.  Your only option is to hold the power button until it shuts off (losing everything you had open), then power on from what is effectively a "hard crash" state.

This is a $2100 laptop and it is unable to sleep.  Argh.  Thankfully, still under warranty.  I may have to ask our Dell rep if we can switch it out for a Precision M3800, or even a Latitude 6540 w/ the HD panel (getting credit for the difference, of course).  Anyone know if the Precision, which looks very similar to the XPS, is plagued with the same major hardware issues?

16 Posts

June 10th, 2015 06:00

If you read my previous posts I have had this motherboard replaced 4 times.

What finally did the trick for me was that the last time they switched the power relay (piece where you connect the adapter which is connecting the battery to the motherboard.)

Regardless of this though it is sometimes slow to wake up. The reason for this is that if it sleeps for a while, (timer can be adjusted,) it dumps everything from memory to the SSD and turns the computer off completely.
So after that you naturally have to boot it back up with the power button, but only a quick press.
Also note that you might want to wait a few minutes from having the computer sleeping to trying to wake it up, as it takes a little time to copy memory to the SSD and therefore if you just close the lid and reopen it immediately it will be in a state where it is still going to sleep, (or actually Intel's Hardware based Hibernation state, not to be confused with hibernation in Windows.)

Try and see if closing the lid (for it to sleep) and reopening the lid after 5 minutes and then pressing the power-button, as you would turn your XPS on, wakes it up.
If it doesn't the motherboard is probably damaged again and you should request they exchange both the MB and the part between the adapter and the MB. (That part was the culprit for me and It has worked fine for 4-5 months now)

1 Message

June 10th, 2015 11:00

similar experience: new xps 15 9530, intermittently lost ability to wake from sleep at first, then same with hibernate; would have to long press power button & reboot.  eventually would not wake or reboot at all.

USA dell xps customer service 800.624.9896 was great.  they scheduled a tech visit (still under warranty), ordered a new motherboard & within less than 24 hours tech came & swapped motherboard & now it works perfectly.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

I have the same problem.  Same system.  The problem started about 3 months or so after receiving my new laptop.  They came and swapped out the motherboard, but now my problem is worse.  It woudlnt wake from sleep, now it wont shut down all the way or start-up without holding the power but down to manually shut it off first.  (The part was backlogged - so our same day service took several days.)

What now?  Another call to Dell - Is it cheaper to keep swaping mother boards (they said there was a known issue on the boards) or determine the problem?

7 Posts

June 25th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately a month after I had the motherboard replaced, the exact same problem came back.  This time, we shipped the laptop off to Dell for a complete fix (8 days total until it was back to us).  Took the laptop out of the box, tried sleep, and it was still broken with the exact same sleep issue.  That's not to say the tech didn't potentially think s/he had it fixed, these boards seem sketchy enough that it may have worked for them on the bench but been broken again by the time it was back to me.

We're exchanging the laptop for a new system this time.  If it develops the same problem we will not allow any more chances at repair, it will need to be replaced with a non-XPS laptop of comparable value.  Honestly, I'd prefer to completely avoid the XPS 9530s and wait for their hardware refresh.

16 Posts

June 25th, 2015 07:00

Hey, read my earlier posts for more...

If you ever want your XPS to work it seems like you have to ask for witch parts to exchange.

The motherboards are breaking when you have a faulty power relay. Get that replaced before the motherboard.

7 Posts

June 25th, 2015 08:00

If you ever want your XPS to work it seems like you have to ask for witch parts to exchange.

The motherboards are breaking when you have a faulty power relay. Get that replaced before the motherboard.

Yeah, I'd noted your posts previously and hoped to have both components swapped.  For the first onsite repair, the tech just swapped the motherboard.  The system worked (and slept) perfectly for roughly a month before the issue came back.  Since the second repair was us shipping the laptop to Dell's service center in Texas, the assumption was that the techs down there would surely have seen plenty of these bad XPS systems and would know to swap out both the motherboard and the power relay/board (I even included a note in the box with a link to this specific thread and said that others reported a power component likely needed to be replaced along with the motherboard).  They apparently don't believe that's the issue or they ignored a large-print 8x11 page included with the laptop, as the only thing replaced was the motherboard, and the laptop was exactly as broken as it was when we shipped it to them.  I'm good with the exchange this time, since frankly a $2100 laptop shouldn't be having these issues in the first place so for all this hassle at least we get a fresh, new system instead of something on its third major repair in 9 months.

June 29th, 2015 10:00

I have the same problem with my XPS 9530 as well. My first machine (Aug '14) had the power issue and some nasty non-functioning display issues in September so I requested and received a new machine. Originally had a tech come and take a look at it but when he was done with it, the machine was in a more broken state than when he arrived. 

I have been experiencing the power problem ever since so I just disabled the standby option entirely. It will go into hibernate and subsequent startup properly 90% of the time when the battery runs out of juice.

My 1 year mark is coming up soon so I figured I will deal with the problem and ask for both of these components to be swapped as well. Thanks to this thread, I know I'm not alone on this issue!

4 Posts

July 1st, 2015 06:00

My XPS 15 had regularly the problem that I couldn't wake it up from Sleep mode but pressing a few times the power button usually solved it.... until yesterday :-(

No matter what I did, impossible to turn it on again.

With the laws of Murphy it off course had to happen on a saturday afternoon knowing that I have to travel abroad with it on monday early morning.

After having tried (almost) everything I quickly borrowed a friends laptop but with some luck I found a very bizar way to turn it on!!

I plugged a usb cable to it (the cable itself wasn't plugged to anything on the other side and.... I could turn it on with the power button!

3 Posts

July 16th, 2015 06:00

Had this happen to me last week...

Sent the laptop back to Germany for repair, according to the service sheet they replaced:

- "Extension board"

- "heat sink"

- "motherboard"

But after getting it back just now, sleeping the laptop causes it to not wake up

Clearly what was replaced is not where the issue lies...

3 Posts

July 16th, 2015 07:00

I couldn't wake it up from Sleep mode but pressing a few times the power button usually solved it.... until yesterday :-(

No matter what I did, impossible to turn it on again.

Oh and for other users who might have this issue, holding down the power button for 5 seconds will cause the BIOS to force a shutdown, allowing you to turn it on.

July 16th, 2015 15:00

For the second time in 3 months I have had an engineer out to fix my XPS 15. Still, the laptop will not wake from Sleep when the power cable is in. When the power cable is out, it will wake, but it's done a full restart (even with a short press on the power button, not a long press). Hibernate is OK. Therefore I've set the Power Options to Hibernate not Sleep. Really disappointed in Dell. This is a top of the range laptop. It seems that they cannot resolve this issue and are still sending out engineers, wasting their money and our time. Is anyone from Dell reading this?
No Events found!