Highlighted
Tkopper
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15 9550 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs

Jump to solution

Well just got my new XPS 15 9550 with the 4K display, 256GB SSD and 960m GPU. Now as I use it for web surfing, etc. I have been getting these BSOD's where the display would freeze for about 10 or so seconds and BSOD displaying the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. I have reinstalled Windows 10 with default BIOS settings where the SATA controller is set to RAID. All drivers from dell have been installed and the error still shows its face multiple times a day. I have even tried running the latest nVidia driver (364.51) rather then the stock one (358.94) with the same issues. I'm running out of ideas why this is happening. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Eldering
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 9550 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs

Jump to solution

I have resolved the issues on my laptop as well. In my case the solution was not to use the driver linked by TKopper (this is the one I had been using, and which caused freezing on my system). Instead, I have now installed this driver from Lenovo: support.lenovo.com/.../ds112761

I've also mirrored the file on my Google Drive: drive.google.com/.../view

To replace the driver first go into the device manager in Windows, then go to Storage controllers. There should be an item Samsung NVMe Controller. Go to its properties and select Update Driver, then select 'Browse my computer' and point it to the drivers from Lenovo.

This will use the Samsung driver with version 1.4.7.17. The version from the Dell site is currently 2.1. This issue might be specific to the Samsung 951 SSD (opposed to 950/960 versions). Using the driver from Microsoft gave me BSODs.

Opposed to TKoppers method I installed in UEFI mode. So I have disabled 'Enable Legacy Option ROMS' in the 'BIOS' and I have used Rufus tool to create an UEFI bootable Windows USB stick (when you do this note that you'll need to change the format to fat32 AFTER selecting the iso file).

I did install all Dell drivers except for the Intel RST. Didn't do restarts when not required, and updated to Windows 10 anniversary immediately after installing the drivers.

My crotch is cool since I've had my XPS on the table.

33 Replies
corygross
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Tons of blue screen issues with my new XPS 15 9550 too.  I'm also suffering from black screen crashes too, which seem to be caused by the NVIDIA 960m drivers.

0 Kudos
Tkopper
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I may have found the answer to the blue screens. I reset BIOS to defaults and changed the SATA controller to AHCI mode then reinstalled windows. Once she boots up for the first time, install the 950 pro driver from Samsung. Don't install Intel RST drivers. So far for a while day now, I have been stress testing the laptop and have had no BSODs. Also before resetting the BIOS, make sure it's the latest version. I'm currently running the latest P530 video driver from Dell and also the 358.64 960m driver from nVidia that gets automatically installed on first boot after WiFi driver is installed. Going to stay stock on the nVidia driver for a couple of days before updating it.

0 Kudos
lordlunatic
1 Copper

Jump to solution

To fix random bluescreens on the Dell XPS 15 9550 its sufficient to install the latest SSD driver from Samsung NVMe Driver. I have no problems ever since.

Winson Chiou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I experienced the BSOD  and tried Samsung NVMe SSD driver. YES the BSOD was gone, but turn to another symptom "freeze". Anyone has the same experience?

lordlunatic
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello,

have you updated to the latest Bios (A new version was released in August)?

What kind of freeze? Like completely frozen? Or frozen windows with mouse still working?

BR,

André

0 Kudos
Winson Chiou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

YES, I've updated the BIOS to the latest version.

The symptom of the freeze: the mouse cursor keeps circling like busy, cursor still can move, but cannot click any buttons or windows, system does not give any response.

gpakes
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi @Winson Chiou,

Did you ever solve this issue?  I have the exact same issue.

I was getting BSOD's with Critical Process Died.  I then installed the Samsumg NVMe driver and I now get the freezes exactly as you describe.

I'm not having much luck googling for a solution.

thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
Eldering
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Same issue here. System worked fine before, but had to fresh install after getting BSODs. Now it freezes, it appears there is some kind of software lock. At first one app hangs and I can still drag windows but at some point every app will be locked and I can only do a cold reboot.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Eldering, this is an old thread but the original problem seemed to have been solved.  At this point if it was related to a PCIe SSD you might check the Device Manager to see which model drive you have  how it is controlled.  Look in the drives section for a description and the Storage controllers section to see if it is running a NVMe or SATA.

If you are getting dump files from the BSODs could you put them on OneDrive and give us a link?  The does assume you are running Win 10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos