Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 27th, 2015 08:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Crackling Noise coming from speakers when plugging and un plugging power supply.

Hi

I Got my XPS 15 9550    Build Date Dec-16-2015 Bios Ver 01.00.07 4302.13 UEFI

The fault I was able to find so far that is disturbing issue.

Condition1  - "When pressing  brightness keys F11-F12" (little crackling distorted noise from speakers)

Condition 2 - " When music playing out of speakers also at sometimes can hear crackling noise coming" ( like speakers can't handle the frequency properly)

Condition3 major one -  "At the time of plugging in power supply in or out of laptop."                                                                                                                                                When video/audio/u-tube playing I can hear  short crackling noise lasting about (4-6 seconds) output sound also gets distorted coming from laptop speakers same results happening when using headphones except crackling noise less noticeable sounds becomes more distorted like a tape that about to get jammed.

So not sure what's goin on there I have latest Audio Realtek driver installed & Bios 01.00.07.

As far as power laptop came with 130W so crackling happening even with 130W also I have Precision m3800 laptop that use same power source try that as well same results so it is not defective power supply it is something else

Makes me believe that issue with speakers hardware picking up some kind of interference  (or crammed to close) or insulation are very poor.

Will be returning that one for full refund as this one I got for gift cant give it like that.

but I have ordered 2 so will try another one soon.

and also  CPU throtling as mention still  not  happening when plugging power source.

to sum up the major issue I experienced is the speakers as very poor sound with crackling noise here and there. power supply  (plugging /un plugging  while audio playing) cause most cracking noise.

plugging headphones in and out while sound is playing sometimes becomes unresponsive crashing.

So the speakers and sound  quality output  are very poor on this one.

besides  that seems to be good

Feed back would be good.

Did anyone experience similar issue and if yes what was your resolution possible fix (hardware replacement / drivers ect / settings adjustments)

Regards

Edward

5 Posts

April 19th, 2016 19:00

true...yea mine still crackles as well. let me know what the technician says! I would love to fix this problem

15 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 04:00

The only systems that Active Stylus works with are listed below. 192.168.l.l

1 Message

July 12th, 2016 20:00

Righ-click speaker icon on the taskbar and click on troubleshoot sound problems. It should sort it out, it worked for me.  And make sure nothing is ticked in enhancements.

10 Posts

July 13th, 2016 22:00

I've had the same issue (Inspiron 11 3158) - and it fixed by setting at the Dell Audio control panel - set the audio quality to 24Bit/48Khz or 16Bit/48Khz.
it seems the MaxxAudio software can't process 96Khz and 192Khz at real time properly.

Or, you can completely disable all enhancement at speaker properties -> enhancement -> tick the "disable all enhancement"

1 Message

August 27th, 2016 21:00

hey was the technician able to fix it?? i just got my laptop on friday- today is saturday and im already having this problem

1 Message

September 1st, 2016 13:00

did it work?

1 Message

November 9th, 2016 09:00

I had the same issue. I resolved the issue by going into "Sounds", right clicking "Speakers/Headphones", clicking on the "Advanced" tab, and changing the sample rate to "24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)"

17 Posts

November 9th, 2016 13:00

@hyperkritik

Wow, thanks! That significantly reduced the crackling. It's still not perfect, but so much better now :D

1 Message

December 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi guys,

I have had this problem for a while, and disabling the onboard microphone, using the playback options accessed by the bottom right hand corner removes the sound.  It only comes back momentarily after the speaker is used.

Not an issue if you use the laptop mainly for work.  Really can't understand the problem though :/

6 Posts

December 19th, 2016 21:00

Worked for me. Changed to "Music", played with EQ and Bass settings, and it has fixed most issues. I noticed the underlying problem only occurs in certain formats/codecs.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2017 16:00

I have the same problem, but honestly this is more like a work around is it not? Looks like hardware problem for me. A few months ago I had a problem that sound and videoplayback wouldn't work, and it got fixed through an bio update. However, now I have the same exact issue (word for word) like this person have. Perhaps I should have replaced the motherboard like they wanted me to back then, or should me demand another bios update?

2 Posts

January 16th, 2017 18:00

But wouldn't this just be a workaround? Because I think there is actually some hardware problems with this device.  months before this problem occure, I had another issue where playback and audio wouldn't work until I restarted my laptop. Luckily this got fixed through a bios update. However, before that update was released I was told by the tech support to replace my motherboard like many other people had done in the forums which fixed it. So now I am wondering whether I should do the same or just wait for another update.

1 Message

January 29th, 2017 15:00

Try this:  go to the dell audio app . next go to speaker/headphone  - >  go to default format and chose a lower setting . 24bits 44100hz works for me.

it doesn't fix it 100 % but it makes it a lot better

10 Posts

January 29th, 2017 21:00

My laptop (Inspiron 11 3158, Skylake i3-U) which have the same issue, crackling noise when plug-in or out the charger., fixed by updating the BIOS to the newer version.

There's a changelog notes from Dell which fix this issue... I dont know if it's already released on XPS 9550 or not

1 Message

March 30th, 2017 14:00

Forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

While it isn't a fix, it might help diagnose the issue as this seems to be with Windows. Had 3 9550's and on this 3rd one, braved using Linux as my primary OS - and hey presto, no audio issues! Audio actually sounds decent too. All 3 laptops do this under Windows, but under Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, nothing!  

No Events found!