Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2015 16:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) Fan Speed w/ Dell USB-C to VGA/HDMI/USB/Ethernet Adapter

I recently purchased the Dell USB-C to VGA/HDMI/USB/Ethernet Adapter (Dell 470-ABQN) to use as a dock with my XPS 15 9550. Unfortunately while using this adapter the fans run at a very high speed, approximately 80%, and are therefore loud and disturbing during meetings and desk work. I have it connected to only an HDMI monitor and a USB mouse receiver. The fans also run constantly when using the built-in USB and HDMI ports, but at a tolerable level. I will have to return this item without a fix, so could someone at Dell please advise if there is a solution or if this is a known issue that will be reviewed? I have updated both the Thunderbolt firmware and software and applied all Windows Updates. Thanks

9 Posts

December 14th, 2015 17:00

I have the same problem. I connect a usb-c ethernet adapter with my xps 15 9550. 

9 Posts

December 14th, 2015 17:00

I have the same problem here. I connect a usb-c ethernet adapter in my case. The fan keeps running when the adapter is connected. 

8 Posts

December 14th, 2015 20:00

Does this happen only while plugged into the dock? Are you plugged into the AC while using the dock? And if so, does this only happen while the laptop is charging below 90%?

I ask, because my fan does this when plugged into the AC and charging. Once it gets to 86-90% the fans go almost silent.

9 Posts

December 14th, 2015 21:00

In my case, the AC power is plugged. But the battery is already fully charged. If I remove the usb-c adapter, the fan slows down after about 1 minute. Plug the adapter again, the fan runs fast again after several minutes, about 2 minutes.

8 Posts

December 17th, 2015 17:00

Yeah, something is obviously screwy with these fans. They otherwise remain nice and quiet during normal operation, but when charging mine speed up for apparently no reason. I'm assuming a software/bios/driver fix is possible because if you download the Dell Power Command utility you can get the fans to slow down temporarily by changing the cooling profile. They will resume the normal(abnormal) behavior after a while though. We really need some communication from Dell on these problems though.

15 Posts

December 17th, 2015 20:00

Great to see this post, I noticed the same thing as well.  It's not 80% fans by a long shot, but it is a significant uptick but about 3-4db in my situation.  My conditions, battery fully charged on AC power, no other devices connect (to make the test pure) and I can replicate this result every time.  Also on balanced power, not sure it matters though!

Any device plugged into USB-C causes the fans to kick up one level when no other tasks are occurring.  CPU at <5% use, all CPU temps at 35C or lower, nothing open other than background apps.  I tried USB-C to HDMI, USB-C to external SSD hard drive, and even the Xbox One wireless controller adapter (without the controller even connected).

Dropbox link with pictures of both USB-C and USB 3 attached hard drive with dB meter.

www.dropbox.com/.../AADrvUHK6rAXJQpT3Gyrki99a

3 Posts

January 11th, 2016 19:00

Has anyone found a fix for this issue? Even with nothing plugged into the adapter, as long as it is plugged into the laptop, the fan runs louder than normal. I have the latest drivers and BIOS updates, so I'm beginning to think that I have yet another defective 9550 - and this honestly wouldn't surprise me, seeing as it'll be my third one.

9 Posts

January 15th, 2016 01:00

well...I just forget there is a usb-c port. Connect to the usb 3.0 only, and buy a usb 3.0 hub. Have no idea when Dell will fix it, maybe won't at all... 

380 Posts

January 15th, 2016 06:00

I have a XPS 15 9550, i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Full HD screen. I also have a USB-C Hub/Ethernet adapter connected to the Thunderbolt port. I don't hear any fan sound. I almost have to put my ear up to the keyboard to hear anything. Has anyone installed any fan monitoring software? I tried HWInfo-64 and I get about 2500 RPM from the fans with and without the adapter installed. I am curious as to what others are getting and whether your hardware configuration might have an affect on it..

JohnD

9 Posts

January 16th, 2016 04:00

Thanks, however, In my case, the fan speed is around 2500 rpm without usb-c ethernet adapter, 3250 rpm with the adapter. i7, 20g RAM, 256 SSD, Full HD screen. 

January 16th, 2016 06:00

maybe you can try to upgrade the TBT FW.

Intel(R) Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update View details 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Intel_TBT3-NVM12_FK6KK_02.05.04_A00v2_SETUP_ZPE.exe 

9 Posts

January 16th, 2016 17:00

Thanks. I tried that, didn't work. I tried one usb-c Ethernet and another usb 3 Ethernet with usb-c adapter. After connected for about 5 minutes, the fan speed will increase to around 3250 rpm, and run at that speed till disconnect them. 

1 Message

January 16th, 2016 18:00

In the advanced section of Power Options there is a setting for active or passive cooling, try switching this to passive for when it's plugged in.

380 Posts

January 20th, 2016 02:00

After turning it on this evening I noticed the same thing. My fan speed was up to about 3200. I disconnected my adapter and it dropped down to about 2500. I connected it back again and it stayed at 2500. Maybe it was a coincidence? Then later it bumped up again. Not quite sure what is going on. I am not getting much fan noise. I have to put my ear up to the computer to hear anything.

I did not do anything for a while and let the screen shut off. When I hit the mouse to bring the screen back up, the fan speed is back to 2500. This may be normal behavior???

JohnD

1 Message

January 20th, 2016 17:00

I have a very similar issue but I haven't tried the USB-c port. Mine is with a dell external monitor attached through HDMI. Fans are loud to an annoying level with external monitor attached through HDMI. Barely audible when no external display is attached. 

No Events found!