Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2015 16:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) Fan Speed w/ Dell USB-C to VGA/HDMI/USB/Ethernet Adapter

I recently purchased the Dell USB-C to VGA/HDMI/USB/Ethernet Adapter (Dell 470-ABQN) to use as a dock with my XPS 15 9550. Unfortunately while using this adapter the fans run at a very high speed, approximately 80%, and are therefore loud and disturbing during meetings and desk work. I have it connected to only an HDMI monitor and a USB mouse receiver. The fans also run constantly when using the built-in USB and HDMI ports, but at a tolerable level. I will have to return this item without a fix, so could someone at Dell please advise if there is a solution or if this is a known issue that will be reviewed? I have updated both the Thunderbolt firmware and software and applied all Windows Updates. Thanks

380 Posts

January 20th, 2016 17:00

I think the issue is related to battery recharging. I ran my computer on the battery for a while today. When I finally started up connected to the AC power, the fans jumped up to 3200RPM. When the battery reached 95% charged, the fan dropped back to 2500.

JohnD

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 19:00

Well, I think they are 2 issues. One is charging issue, another is usb-c issue. My XPS 15 has both problems. If it is charging, the fans runs at around 3200RPM till charged for about 90%. Another is USB-C issue, it will also jump to 3200RPM when CPU is high, and won't slow down even the CPU is idle later.

1 Message

January 21st, 2016 00:00

I have the same problem with an USB-C to displayport adapter.

I am running a XPS 15 i7, 16 Gb, 1TB SSD with 4K display. And at work I have a 4K external display. Running that on HDMI I can work an entire day without ever hearing the fan turn on. But with the displayport adapter it comes on at once, and stays on.

So my options are 4K display over HDMI at 30Hz silently, or 4K over displayport at 60Hz (lovely) with fan-noise.

Not ok! Dell needs to fix this asap.

14 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 08:00

I have the same problem here. I connect a dell adapter DA200 (usb-c to hdmi-vga-ethernet) and fan keeps running when the adapter is connected. It happens even if nothing is connected to the adapter. I doesn't happens just when battery is charging but in that case the fan runs even faster.

5 Posts

January 29th, 2016 09:00

I actually think the problem is much deeper then just fan noise.  I bought the same adapter (Dell 470-ABQN) which is linked from their web site showing this XPS 9550.  Not only does the fan kick up, but if you plug a keyboard and mouse into the HUB, the performance goes in the toilet.  Keyboard skips key strokes and multiplies letters.  The mouse skips and is not smooth when moving around the screen.  It acts as if the system is being overly taxed, even though task manager doesn't really show this.  Dealt with tech support for two hours yesterday, and the tech told me that the Dell 470-ABQN is NOT compatible with xps 15 9550.  And in fact, if you look at the compatibility, it only shows a latitude laptop.  He said the compatible part is Manufacturer part # YRPDK , Dell Part number 470-ABNL.  I can only find this part on Dell's singapore web site.. go figure..  But this part, in fact, lists the XPS 9550 as compatible.  The tech did not know when these would be available and I asked him to notify a manager that the link they have for this part is incorrect.

I also have an IOGEAR USB-C to USB-3 adapter and the same thing happens.  It seems that Dell has a major Thunderbolt driver issue.  Very disappointing...

12 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 07:00

Yes, I got it yesterday, it's worked fine except the fan noise issue.

14 Posts

Have you got the Thunderbotl dock TB15? I'm evaluating to buy it but is unbelievable Dell can sell the new dock with so many issues with the Thunderbolt port

12 Posts

Is there any update one this issue, I got the new Dell Thunderbolt Dock and had the same issue and it's distracting.

9 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 14:00

Well... It seems have to wait till dell fix this issue. I think it should be a driver issue or bios issue. Anyway, I won't go for TB15 for now. Maybe an USB 3 dock is better...

14 Posts

February 6th, 2016 02:00

HI, may I ask if you got the TB15 130W or the 180W one. I have an XPS15 9550 and I dont know which one to buy since the 130W should be enough and it's less expensive than the 180w.

Thanks

10 Posts

February 8th, 2016 08:00

I have the same problem with the USB-c port. Fans will start after 2-5 minutes and will not stop unless I unplug the device.

February 8th, 2016 14:00

I have some usb-c 3.1 ethernet/usb3.0 hub combo's and the dell da-200.

The fan does not kick in, but so far I use these usb-c extensions only for ethernet.

Could it be that when the fan kicks in the nVidia 960m is used? You can check it with a program like Hwinfo64. If so, then consider this as a feature by design. The 960m consumes more power and generate more heat then the intel hd530 graphics. That causes the fans to start, especially if the battery gets charged.

10 Posts

February 9th, 2016 00:00

Unfortunately not, I'm only using Edge while testing and only the Intel HD graphics card is active.

All temperatures stay below 31 degrees Celsius. Unplugging the adapter will not increase/decrease these temperatures. Likewise, plugging in the adapter will not increase/decrease temps.

I'm currently on BIOS 1.1.19, latest drivers from Dell site (including latest Thunderbolt drivers)

10 Posts

February 10th, 2016 01:00

Some more information:

System specs: 4k, i7-6700HQ, 512GB ssd.

I have set the BIOS to default settings, no change.

I have set the BIOS to factory settings, no change.

Dell diagnostics does not find any problems.

10 Posts

February 10th, 2016 07:00

I have found a solution!

Turning on airplane mode stops the fans (currently this works for me)!

edit: Only seems to work for an extra 15 minutes, after which the fans will kick in again.

edit: Fans kicked in after about 15 minutes, then ran for about 5-8 minutes.

edit: Nevermind, fans are still running continuously...

No Events found!