Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2017 21:00

Dell XPS 15 9550, Speakers work, Headphones do not.

This is a pernicious little issue. I'm operating a Dell XPS 15 9550, using Windows 10, and my audio worked with no issues as recently as earlier today. At one point today, however, my device bluescreened and (I believe, but it's a little hard to remember at this point) partially installed an update upon booting back up. After this, audio did not work at all, but through uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, I got the speakers to work again.

But it was only the speakers that worked again. When I plug in headphones, the system recognizes that a device has been plugged in, and does change the volume to the headphone volume, and does stop playing sound through the speakers as normal when the headphones are plugged in... but it just doesn't play any sound through the headphones. The system itself indicates that sound is being played whenever it should be, but no sound comes through the headphones.

The only differences between my audio situation then and now are that it doesn't automatically detect which type of device I've placed into the 3.5mm jack and now brings up the prompt asking which type of device was placed in, and that it doesn't play sound through the headphones.

I've tried several different solutions, too. I've tried two different pairs of headphones/earbuds, and made sure that both function on other devices (they do), I've tried updating and reinstalling all of my drivers, I've tried switching between the Realtek drivers and the native driver, I've run SupportAssist, I've run a full windows update, and I've run Dell System Detect, and I've made sure that my playback device (Speaker/Headphones, a single listed playback device) is the default device. But none of this has worked.

I'm not inclined to believe that this is a hardware issue, either, considering that it worked with absolutely no problem earlier today and that the headphone audio stopped playing after a restart. My computer works in every other aspect, too.

The current drivers I have installed are Intel(R) Display Audio, and Realtek High Definition Audio, though I also tried replacing the driver at different points with the native High Definition Audio driver and the Realtek Audio driver with no change in the problem.

9.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hi Powder Miner,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately it sounds like all the troubleshooting that I could suggest has been done. Perhaps giving Tech Support a call for further troubleshooting and possible resolution.

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

November 1st, 2017 01:00

Hi,

I was wondering if you managed to fix this as I am having the exact same problem.

November 1st, 2017 01:00

Hi,

I was wondering if you managed to fix this as I am having the exact same problem as well.

No Events found!