Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AG

June 1st, 2017 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 + TB16

Hi All - I just got a TB16 to replace my old USB3 dock that had dead USB ports on it. I have followed the information in the TB16 setup guide, the driver installation guide and tried a lot of different things. The TB Controller is enabled and security is disabled in BIOS. I also turned on all the checkbox options in BIOS, and have toggled them on and off to make sure they are actually turned on. 

None of the USB ports on the new TB16 work, the sound ports do not work, and the NIC does not work. I am able to get the display ports working (using both right now, connected to USB powered Dual-Link DVI adapters connected to my good old 3007WFPs).

I have tried several "down rev" versions of the USB controller driver that is provided by Dell. I cannot even see any evidence of USB devices when the TB16 is connected with the 240W power adapter connected. However, if I unplug the 240W power adapter from the TB16, I do see some USB devices pop up, but they don't work. I have tried leaving the dock disconnected from everything for 4 days and then connecting the power adapter to it, then connecting the laptop. That did no good either.

I also tried using the recommended "disable WiFi" fix that was posted here in the forums. That made no difference. It makes no difference if the laptop is off and powered up with the lid closed or with the lid open. I also cannot use a USB keyboard connected to the TB16 on the bitlocker prompt screen, regardless what port it is connected to.

I'm starting to think this thing was DOA. Please help.

380 Posts

June 2nd, 2017 04:00

I could never get the TB15 to work properly on my 9550. Dell sent me a TB16 which I will send back. With all the issues that have arisen with these two docks, I opted to purchase another dock. Depending on how many ports you need and whether you want to power/charge your 9550, you might consider this:

plugable.com/thunderbolt-3

It does not have all the bells and whistles that the TB16 has, but it worked right out of the box for me and has enough ports for what I am doing. Plugable makes great products and has fantastic support of their products. If you have any questions about the dock, you can contact them.

JohnD

June 5th, 2017 17:00

I'm awaiting a replacement but the support rep dropped the ball on requesting it until I followed up on email today. I was hoping to have it en route over the weekend so I could work on this week before a huge project go-live next week, but I don't think it will be here until next week.

380 Posts

June 6th, 2017 00:00

Good luck. I hope it works for you.

JohnD

13 Posts

August 7th, 2017 22:00

I am experiencing the exact same thing with the latest BIOS and all latest drivers. 5 hours troubleshooting and trying different combinations of things was no help.

I don't know why I keep buying Dell stuff, I've never been happy with any of the four products I've bought from Dell.  I thought that by buying a laptop (XPS 15 9550) that was a close cousin to a business workstation and the matching dock that I'd be golden, but alas not even that is safe with Dell.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I should have checked.  The updated Thunderbolt driver (marked as an Urgent update) and Thunderbolt firmware are now up on the 9550's Support page.  The BIOS and ASMedia USB controller driver are also fairly new, but not from today. Hopefully this solves the issue for you!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

For what it's worth, an updated BIOS, Thunderbolt driver, and Thunderbolt firmware package were all released for the XPS 13 9360 just today, so the 9550 may not be far behind.

August 8th, 2017 17:00

I received an "A04" hardware version when I RMA'd the original. After I got that I've had almost no issues, but I think there is something wrong with one of the early versions of the drivers they shipped for the device. I have a co-worker who's "A02" I had tried. His machine doesn't see the Ethernet or sound devices but the rest works. However, when he plugs in my "A04" device it doesn't even see the USB controller on the device.I think this is a driver problem as we were only able to get another test machine to see it after wiping and reinstalling windows.

Edit: Additionally, I can't get either the driver or firmware to install on my 9550. It just says up to date already.

No Events found!