Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Videos online do not play after computer is turned off, also video stuttering

Hi Everyone! please help!

Every time I turn my computer on (after it was completely off) again which I do a lot as this laptop is so fast to turn off and on, the video streaming does not work.

So after I turn on I go to the bbc, Facebook, youtube, or other streaming sites the video loads and I can click play though it does not actually play, just a still image. same on every website. so to fix this I have to restart the computer, then it works. So for some reason turning the computer off causes this and restarting it fixes it - seems strange to me though more irritating 

Second issue is that again online streaming videos stutter all websites all browsers (chrome internet explorer etc.). I have fixed this though by setting Nvidia to be used for the browsers instead of intel. Though this solution uses more power and might be related to the other problem.

This problem has been here since I got the laptop in December 2015, have updated to all the latest drivers bios, applications etc. What else can I do ???

Any help with the videos not playing would be greatly appreciated it is so annoying to turn on the computer go to websites then find you can't play the videos, then remembering you have to restart.

380 Posts

February 13th, 2016 22:00

How are you shutting it down? If you use the standard "Start Menu" > "Power" > "Shutdown", it does not completely shut it down. It saves part of memory in a hibernation file which allows it to quickly restart. This could cause issues when you start up again. If you have not tried this, set up a desktop shortcut (right-click on an empty spot on the desktop, select "New" > "Shortcut" and enter "shutdown /s /t 0" in the box (that's "shutdown" + space + forward slash+"s" + space + forward slash+"t" + space + "0" [the number zero]) without the quotes. Click "Next" and give the shortcut a name, then "OK". This will shut the computer down completely.

The other option is to disable "Fast Startup". That should accomplish the same thing. See if either of these help.

JohnD

4 Posts

February 14th, 2016 02:00

Hi JohnD,

Thank you for responding to my problem, Yes I was doing the standard shutdown Start Menu" > "Power" > "Shutdown" - who knew that this did not shut down completely ! I thought that was hibernate that saved on the hard drive or sleep that saved on the ram... but anyways...

Your suggestion does fix it, so clearly you are on to where the problem is originating from, but unfortunately there is a start up performance loss with your solution, start up to the log in screen is around 9 seconds using the standard, and 16 seconds after shutting down using your method.

I have the 512 ssd, 4k configuration, I would prefer not to have such a performance loss on a new 1.5K laptop, Is there anything I can do to fix it without disabling it???

Thanks so much for the help!!

Alex

1 Message

November 13th, 2016 14:00

"I have the 512 ssd, 4k configuration, I would prefer not to have such a performance loss on a new 1.5K laptop, Is there anything I can do to fix it without disabling it???"

I have the same issue with the same specs. Have you found any other fixes that do not require you to completely shutting it down?

4 Posts

November 13th, 2016 15:00

I did not find a fix, but it has fixed it self, as I just tested again and it did not happen. So it was likely one of the updates that fixed it. most of the time I put to sleep, so not sure really when it got fixed. try all the updates, probably the bios one fixes it.

Hope that helps,

Alex

No Events found!