Andshill7
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

That was the first thing I did.  Currently,  even without Hyper-v installed now I get video hardware crashes and flickering, albeit not as bad as with it installed. I just think this is hardware failure. It crashes daily and is not fit for purpose right now. Shame is I now have to wait another 5 weeks for the replacement.  

0 Kudos
McNeill.Daniel
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

Just noticed Dell posted a new Intel Video Driver this morning... wonder if it will help anyone: downloads.dell.com/.../Video_Driver_PFWXP_WN32_20.19.15.4331_A04.EXE

Also there is a new driver for the Dell 1830 WiFi Card:

downloads.dell.com/.../Communications_Driver_6XDK6_WN32_1.555.0.0_A03.EXE

0 Kudos
gbeaulieu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The new drivers did not fix it for me. The problem is still showing. I still need to disable the intel drivers.

0 Kudos
Andshill7
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I found the same.  The laptop is now boxed back up and waiting for Dell to collect.  I now have another 21 day wait for replacement.  If this one is the same I will be ditching it and going for a mac... unfortunately.

0 Kudos
FrozenFusion
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Another update... I was ready to give up as others have above when I found posts on the NotebookReviews forum mentioning this new Intel Driver:  downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen

It won't install through the executable, but if you follow the instructions here for a manual install: www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-beta-graphics-drivers-surface  they do work.  Incidentally that link is regarding the exact same flickering problem on the MS Surface Book Pro(very similar hardware).  I'm 3 days in to using these drivers and it appears to have resolved the problem.  This is the longest I've gone without flickering by a long shot.

Note on the Intel download site the first of the "Key Issues Fixed"...  "Display may flicker on 6th Generation Intel Core and related processors".

I also updated to the latest WiFi drivers from Dell's site at the same time, so I can't be 100% certain my issues were fixed by just the display drivers, or if it was the combination of the two.

RLBur
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

FrozenFusion, thank you.  I have a Dell 7559 with the Intel 530 and NVidia 960 and was having the exact same issues as everyone.  I downloaded the Intel driver by following the procedure on the links you listed and now (it appears) my issues have been resolved.  Intel posted the new driver a few weeks ago, and I cannot understand why Dell hasn't made it available!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
McNeill.Daniel
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dell released a new BIOS today, version 1.1.15 on the downloads section. As well as, a new graphics driver a couple weeks ago... These two combined have resolved all graphics issues - for me at least.

0 Kudos
srshaw
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks, is this still working for you with no issues? Which driver was it that you installed, the intel or the nvidia?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am still having the constant screen flickering issue - please help!

I have updated my BIOS and the nVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M Graphics Driver

• Do I need to update the Intel HD Graphics 530/P530 Driver as well that is listed on the driver downloads page?
  • for the Geforce -- do I need to install the 'gaming' driver that appeared after this update?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
FrozenFusion
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It's the latest Intel drivers version 15.40.14.64.4352 that fixed it for me.  Neither the BIOS, Nvidia drivers, nor any of the prior Intel drivers fixed it.  I still had constant infuriating flickering.  Read my post above(from Jan 2nd), grab those drivers and follow the instructions I linked and you should be good to go.  I would think at some point Dell will post those Intel drivers as well, making installation much more simple.

With that said, the latest BIOS definitely fixes other various issues that you'll find people talking about in the forums.  I would imagine the Nvidia drivers are a good idea as well.  I would also recommend grabbing the latest wireless drivers from Dell's site.

Hopefully that helps!  I dealt with the flickering, trying everything under the sun to fix it, for close to 2 months.  Horrible experience considering the price of the laptop.  It's nice to finally have a reliable, properly functioning laptop.