Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2015 21:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

I have a Dell XPS 15 (9550) that I received last week from Dell with a random screen flickering issue. 

It is based on evalue order code: <ADMIN NOTE: Order number removed per privacy policy>

It is the 6th Gen Core i7, 16GB RAM, 15.6" FHD 1080p display (not 4k), 512GB SSD, 84WHr Battery, Intel 530 Graphics AND NVIDIA 960M

I saw a post about the XPS 13 with the intel display flickering being fixed with the new driver... I am running driver version 20.19.15.4300 for the Intel 530 and my screen is still constantly flickering  on my brand new XPS 9550. 

Another Issue: I also noticed that in the Intel graphics properties config panel -> 3D -> Application Optimal Mode... this also causes issues with the start menu looking distorted and fuzzy, even making some of the white text look gray.  I disabled this to resolve that issue, but the screen still constantly flickers.

One thing I have done recently to mitigate the flickering is go into the NVIDIA driver control panel and set the NVIDIA card as the preferred graphics card, which works for most applications. As soon as the Intel card kicks back in the screen flickers... I have tried various drivers versions for this model off the Dell website without success. I am running Windows 10 Pro...  not sure if a newer driver is available and just not posted. For example the newest Laptop BIOS on the driver website ends in .3 while my pc came with .5 installed. So wasn't sure if the website was behind on graphics driver releases, although the Dell Update app hasn't downloaded any new driver either.

I am about to return this laptop, this is annoying... I know it is the intel driver because if I uninstall the Intel Driver completely and let it install the generic microsoft basic graphics driver, while the performance isn't good, the screen does NOT flicker.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and if you were able to resolve it OR if this is completely a driver issue that only Dell / Intel can resolve?

Thanks!

January 8th, 2016 14:00

I am still having the constant screen flickering issue - please help!

I have updated my BIOS and the nVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M Graphics Driver

• Do I need to update the Intel HD Graphics 530/P530 Driver as well that is listed on the driver downloads page?
  • for the Geforce -- do I need to install the 'gaming' driver that appeared after this update?

Thank you!

12 Posts

January 8th, 2016 16:00

It's the latest Intel drivers version 15.40.14.64.4352 that fixed it for me.  Neither the BIOS, Nvidia drivers, nor any of the prior Intel drivers fixed it.  I still had constant infuriating flickering.  Read my post above(from Jan 2nd), grab those drivers and follow the instructions I linked and you should be good to go.  I would think at some point Dell will post those Intel drivers as well, making installation much more simple.

With that said, the latest BIOS definitely fixes other various issues that you'll find people talking about in the forums.  I would imagine the Nvidia drivers are a good idea as well.  I would also recommend grabbing the latest wireless drivers from Dell's site.

Hopefully that helps!  I dealt with the flickering, trying everything under the sun to fix it, for close to 2 months.  Horrible experience considering the price of the laptop.  It's nice to finally have a reliable, properly functioning laptop.

2 Posts

January 8th, 2016 22:00

I manually installed the new Intel driver. My flickering is almost completely gone now but occassionally I will get about a 1 inch horizontal white bar flicker. So it did not completely fix it for me but has made it much better. Anyone else in same boat or has this fixed it completely for you guys?

17 Posts

January 9th, 2016 00:00

Thanks to Frozen fusion for posting the drivers. However, for me the replacement laptop has worked for me.  I now have no issues at all, despite the drivers.  This leads me to believe that the problems are mixed for us all.  In my case it was clearly the hardware at fault (constantly flickering,  crashing answer hardware errors in the reliability monitor logs). I even have Hyper-v on mine and it performs fine now.  Fingers crossed that this doesn't curse it ☺.

If the drivers don't resolve it then get it replaced.

Best of luck,

Andrew

6 Posts

January 10th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem on my brand new XPS15 9550 too. (6th gen Core i7, 4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) with the NVIDIA 960M and apparently Intel 530)

I have upgraded the BIOS, and installed the Beta driver from the MS site as per the advice from other people - apparently they have the same issue with the same GFX card on the Surface...

This has not fixed the issue on my unit.

Of note, when the screen momentarily goes off, it annoyingly puts the mouse cursor back in the centre of the screen, and sometimes resizes windows, and auto arranges their contents...

Does anyone know if  this a "known issue" and whether or not it being addressed? 

I have just changed the settings in the nVidia control panel like you have to use the nvidia card.  

I didn't know until today that there were two GPUs in this thing...

Kindest regards

Rich

1 Message

January 12th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

I am still getting random screen flickering with the 1.1.15 BIOS and the latest Intel Graphics driver (20.19.15.4331,A04). 

The whole display would black out momentarily during use.

Is this a hardware problem?

i7/16g/512gb/UHD 4k model here. 

13 Posts

January 13th, 2016 00:00

I seemed to have solved the flickering on my Dell by installing the 4352 graphics driver (in FrozenFusion's post), and also setting System cooling policy to "active" in Power Options. (I have an Inspiron that only has integrated graphics)

17 Posts

January 13th, 2016 04:00

This was the exact problem i had. No driver or setting could fix it. I got my laptop replaced and the replacement has so far been everything I wanted and expected - no issues no matter the driver version.

It may be there are different levels of faults - some are solved by drivers but the screen going black as well as the flickering was exactly what I had. The replacement laptop has fixed this.

I think you have a hardware fault like I did.

All the best,

Andrew

17 Posts

January 13th, 2016 04:00

I think it is a hardware fault. If the screen also goes black and the mouse returns to the center of the screen, I believe that's the controller resetting itself. I never got this fixed with drivers. Replacement laptop did the trick.

17 Posts

February 19th, 2016 21:00

I'm still encountering slight flickering issues when putting the brightness to the minimum level in Windows. Intel has fixed this issue in driver 15.40.14.4352, but Dell is still offering the .4331 driver as the latest driver. 

When I try to install the driver from Intel's website, I'm getting an error "Error: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer’s manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I uninstalled Dell's Intel Graphics driver using Programs and Features, and was able to install the .4352 driver after that. The flickering seems to have become less apparent after this update, the Bing Maps app now correctly shows the maps and my laptop feels slightly faster for some reason.

Dell, please update your drivers as well!

March 19th, 2016 13:00

I have same problems wirh you. I don't know that is hardware fail or just software. But i found same problem on bios setup. I am attched here my problem. Have dell fix that problem ?

March 20th, 2016 04:00

Did you fix this problem ? I have same problem with yours.

March 20th, 2016 05:00

I met this problem with screen on first day -

Has anyone met same problem with me ?

6 Posts

March 21st, 2016 02:00

Hi Alan,

I don't think that's related to the "flickering screen" issue that we have been talking about up until now.  I haven't seen that before - I suggest you contact Dell directly to see how to resolve that one.

Regarding the screen flickering issue that I had, (where the screen turns off then on again, centering the mouse cursor), I have spent a long time with Dell support troubleshooting and trying different things (drivers, BIOS etc.) all to no avail.  They just replaced my machine and the new one works fine.

Looks like this is a HW fault if the problem exists on some machines and not others...

Good luck

March 21st, 2016 05:00

Okay. Thanks so much. I should contact dell. I have tried to update and try to install some drivers. But it didn't work. The problem is still there. I will contact dell. Thanks.  

No Events found!