aimeehuang
1 Nickel

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

I want to does the BIOS update released? And this can solve the problem?

0 Kudos
Perez90
1 Copper

RE: Dell XPS 15 (9550) w/ Intel 530 / NVIDIA 960M - Intel Causing Screen Flickering

Jump to solution

I just realized that when it flickers and windows shows the message it says "drivers for windows 8 not responding" could this be the reason why?

0 Kudos
rs2pro
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Disabling Speedstep, C State and TurboBoost didn´t fix the problem, flicker continues.

XPS 9343, W10 home.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Colin is currently out of the office and so I've been asked to look into this thread in his absence.

In discussion with our technical escalation teams, I've been requested to gather service tags of systems that users believe are affected by this issue. If you can send me a private message with the following information, it would be greatly appreciated:

• Your system's service tag.
  • Also, please confirm if you live in Europe, Middle East or Africa.

Thank you all in advance.

John C
Dell | Social Outreach Services

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
FrozenFusion
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I had just posted this on the NotebookReview forum, but thought I might add it here as well to inform more people:

Some news related to the Intel graphics flickering/crashing... I'm not seeing a new driver on Dell's site yet, but if you go into the device manager, go into the Intel HD Graphics 530 display adapter and "Update Driver...", it automatically finds a new driver(or it did for me).  Driver Version: 20.19.15.4312.

So far it's at least an improvement for me.  I have not tried adding back in Hyper-V yet to see if that issue is resolved, but aside from that graphics stability seems better, if not completely fixed.
0 Kudos
hauntedptr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm afraid there's something that we're not being told about the quality control on these laptops.  I bought a 9550 Signature Edition from microsoftstore.com.  Immediately I had issues with screen flickering.  I also had some other unusual behavior.  For example, opening up certain folder (like Downloads) would take 15-30 seconds regardless of what was in the folder.  I chalked it all up to Windows 10 bugs.  I updated the BIOS to 1.007 with no improvement.  I updated the Intel and NVIDIA drivers with some slight initial improvement.  Eventually I had to give up.  The flickering was almost constant and sometimes the screen would just stay black forcing me to shut down and restart.

I called Microsoft, they gave me a return authorization and sent me a new one.  The new one had the same software image, the same BIOS, etc.  I experienced zero problems with flickering on the new laptop.  All of the issues with File Explorer were gone too.  I updated all of the drivers and it still didn't give me a problem.  I've been using it non-stop for over a week with no issues.  

I strongly believe that the issue is hardware related, not driver related.  Maybe modifying the drivers can eventually fix it, but for me, a simple replacement fixed it all.

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Colin is currently out of the office and so I've been asked to look into this thread in his absence.

In discussion with our technical escalation teams, I've been requested to gather service tags of systems that users believe are affected by this issue. If you can send me a private message with the following information, it would be greatly appreciated:

• Your system's service tag.
  • Also, please confirm if you live in Europe, Middle East or Africa.

Thank you all in advance.

On the back of John's request; If you are experiencing the issue with the flicker or the graphics crash on the 9550 please send the info he requested above to myself instead of John, so that we can collate the affected systems.

Thanks

Colin H
Dell | Social Outreach Services

I'm based in the UK and available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm GMT

0 Kudos
logankw
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just FYSA, Intel and Microsoft were working jointly on an updated Intel graphics driver for problems affecting their Surface Book and Surface Pro lines (mostly related to the constant crashing and rebooting of the device). The driver was released today, and should be available by going into your device manager, clicking on "Display adapters" and right-clicking on the Intel graphics card and selecting "Update Driver Software".

Probably won't fix your problems, but it's worth a shot.

[EDIT] Hmm, nevermind -- it pulled 20.19.15.4312 which is the version from late October. Guess the updated driver is exclusive to the Surface devices for now.

0 Kudos
MichaelRBrown
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I had crazy issues when I purchased my dell xps 9550 4k (made post above about it) then I disabled HyperV (made by a comment above) because I upgraded to Win10 Pro and I also went to control panel > system > device manager > expanded display adapters > right clicked on intel and updated driver. The new driver was found searching online and then rebooted. ALL MY FLICKERING IS GONE!! WOOHOO!!

0 Kudos
nnguyen379
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've updated to Windows 10 Education, disabled HyperV, updated drivers, BIOS, and I still get this issue. However, now, I've been having the issue even when plugged in, and earlier, it took 4 reboots because it kept flickering and going black. 

This is my final exam week at uni, and I just spent 1700 on this laptop to use for school, and I am not happy.

I don't live in Europe, Middle East, or Africa, but this is the only thread I could find where it's about my laptop model and about the same issues I've been having. Are there any updates on progress?

0 Kudos