Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2017 23:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 - External HDMI Monitor Flickers

Hi Everyone,

every time I plug in an external monitor to the HDMI port it flickers, but flickers the screen goes black and then displays a screen. There is no pattern to how it flickers, eg, hitting the cable or typing on the keyboard.

This occurs whether using an adapter converting to Video cable or simple a HDMI Cable. I have now used multiple monitors to verify it's not a monitor issue.

Any ideas as to what to do?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 23:00

Thank you for your message.

Open device manager – expand display adapter –right click on the graphic driver & click on uninstall (do not check the box that says delete driver) Restart the computer.

Do you see the flickering if the computer is rebooted & on the Dell logo screen?

For my notes, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

6 Posts

August 24th, 2017 17:00

I uninstalled both - and the external monitor still flickers.

6 Posts

August 24th, 2017 17:00

Hello Sreejith - thanks for responding.

Do I uninstall both the Nvidia GTX 1050  driver as well as the Intel HD Graphics 630?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 27th, 2017 01:00

You need to uninstall NVidia Graphic first followed by the Intel driver.

Does this happen with the TB 15 or TB 16 dock connected?

Please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

6 Posts

August 28th, 2017 18:00

Hello Sreejith,

I do not have a TB15 or TB16 Dock so I cannot comment on whether this happens.

I did however uninstall both Drivers in the suggested order, Nvidia First, then the Intel Driver. On rebooting the system, the problem persisted. I have even explicitly updated both Drivers manually and still the screen flickers.

Is this a hardware issue rather than a software one?

6 Posts

August 29th, 2017 19:00

Interesting suggestion.

I spent many minutes in the Bios on the external screen only. The flickering did not occur. I then booted to Windows and used the external screen only with the laptop screen turned off and the flickering still occurred.

It would seem that regardless of mode, when in Windows using an external monitor with the HDMI port causes Flickering.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 29th, 2017 19:00

This could be a hardware issue.

Please check if this happens if the system is in BIOS screen. Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into bios & check if there is any flickering on the external monitor.

Please click on my Dell username & share the details requested earlier. We will look into this and assist you further within our support boundaries.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2017 16:00

Hello Sreejith.

Thanks for your help up to this point. I'll now put in a support request directly with Dell to have the laptop looked at by Dell engineers. This problem has been directly impacting my productivity and it just needs to be resolved.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 1st, 2017 04:00

We understand.  Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

What OS is installed, is it a Dell image?

Please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address. We will be glad to assist you on this.

No Events found!