Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2017 08:00

Dell XPS 15 9560: Power on from off via AC Adapter Plug in

As the title says, has anyone got this feature working? 

It can be enabled in the BIOS under Power Management - using latest FW version (1.5.0).

I have enabled it and when inserting the AC adapter plug when the laptop is OFF, the front white LED turns on for a second or two and then goes off - laptop does not power on.

My goal is to be able to turn the laptop on from power off without opening it :)

Thanks.

9.4K Posts

November 7th, 2017 10:00

Hi dmginc,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, without opening the lid you can not access the power switch. The Latitude line have a docking station that will support a power swtich outside the computer, but I'm not aware of one for the XPS model.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2017 15:00

Thanks for the reply Robert.

Understood.

But what is then the purpose of this BIOS feature? It seems to not work correctly.

9.4K Posts

November 8th, 2017 11:00

I've checked the information for this computer, and I see no settings for power control in the BIOS, maybe a feature of the OS, but I'm unable to find anything that indicates power can be turned on by the BIOS.

6 Posts

November 9th, 2017 00:00

Thanks Robert.

Here is a photo of the BIOS showing the feature - are you able to find out more and if it is actually supposed to work? 

9.4K Posts

November 10th, 2017 07:00

In researching this further, I do see that it is possible.  Please check the next item for the times and dates when you want this to happen.

Power Management
Option Description
Wake on AC
Use the check box to enable / disable the computer to power up from the off or hibernation state when an AC adapter is inserted.
Auto On Time
This field sets the of days, if any, when you would like the system to turn on automatically. The settings are DisabledEveryday, or Weekdays.
Default setting: Off

Here is an article from another website that might be what you're looking for:  https://lifehacker.com/5831504/how-can-i-start-and-shut-down-my-computer-automatically-every-morning

6 Posts

November 11th, 2017 02:00

OK, so I guess the for the "Wake on AC" feature to work, a time for the computer to wake from power-off must be set?

I think I misunderstood the feature explanation: "...when AC is inserted" -> I assumed that meant at the point in time when the power is plugged in physically, the machine will power on.

No Events found!