Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 18th, 2017 11:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 sudden performance drops

I've got some super weird issues going on with the Dell XPS 15 9560.... After playing a game as simple as Overwatch for like an hour the laptop suddenly drops the fps as low as 11fps but usually hangs around the 30fps (this on lowest settings....) but that's not it, it's not just the game.... when you close the game you will notice that the whole laptop is slowed down like crazy.... mouse lags applications takes ages before opening. This stays for like half an hour before it returns to normal speed. At first I thought that it was thermal throttling but the temperatures are in the 60/70s.... nothing crazy. ( undervolted+ thermal pads have been added to prevent thermal throttling) Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? About to lose my mind, my previous laptop with 765m gpu ran overwatch on lowest settings without ever causing me any troubles. Yet this 2000$+ system fails to run the game on lowest settings.

Dell XPS 15 9560

512gb 

4k display

16gb ram

July 19th, 2017 09:00

Hi,

Run the diagnostics on the system or just the hard drive itself to see if the diagnostics come back with any error code or message.

To run the diags on the computer you can start the computer and tap the F12 key. Choose the option ePSA Diagnostics.

Please update the BIOS, chipset and video drivers to the latest available version from Dell Support site.

Does this happen when you have not used any application?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2017 12:00

After a lot of wasted time/research, XTU program points out that the problem is power limit throttling. You would think that after paying this much for a notebook in 2017 there would be decent cooling in the system... Nah, Dell doesn't really care about overheating issue's. I mean people have been complaining for over 3 years now about their Dell notebooks overheating. If I had known this I'd have never bought the laptop in the first place. Can't even play 1 Overwatch game without fps dropping to 30- fps and that on lowest settings.

No Events found!