greesha
1 Copper

Dell XPS 15 95602 HDD password in BIOS?

Jump to solution

When i was ordering this laptop i was told that this laptops hard drive does support hardware encryption. I thought it would be as easy as setting the HDD Password in BIOS (like with some other SED SSD's)

I actually can't find HDD Password in BIOS anywhere.

Does this laptop come SSD capable of hardware encryption? 

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell XPS 15 95602 HDD password in BIOS?

Jump to solution

Actually ejn63, there are some SSDs on the market whose built-in hardware encryption is initialized by setting a password on the disk in the BIOS.  It's called "Class 0" encryption, and Samsung SSDs among others have supported it for a few years now.

Unfortunately, Dell systems do not support this feature on NVMe storage, only SATA storage. Not sure why, but here's the KB: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

That said, CPUs are fast enough these days (and even include hardware-level acceleration for AES encryption/decryption instructions) that even a fast NVMe SSD shouldn't be bottlenecked by using software encryption like BitLocker.  I personally also prefer the idea of using a more widely adopted (and better documented) encryption solution rather than a solution that's proprietary to the storage vendor and not well documented.  Using software-based BitLocker also makes the storage more recoverable from another system if needed, whereas Class 0 relies on the the BIOS to support prompting for the disk password at boot.

3 Replies
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Hard drive encryption and a hard drive password are two separate things.  Putting a password on the drive doesn't encrypt it -- that requires a  utility to do (it's done under Windows).

Is this a single SSD or an SSD + hard drive?

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Actually ejn63, there are some SSDs on the market whose built-in hardware encryption is initialized by setting a password on the disk in the BIOS.  It's called "Class 0" encryption, and Samsung SSDs among others have supported it for a few years now.

Unfortunately, Dell systems do not support this feature on NVMe storage, only SATA storage. Not sure why, but here's the KB: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

That said, CPUs are fast enough these days (and even include hardware-level acceleration for AES encryption/decryption instructions) that even a fast NVMe SSD shouldn't be bottlenecked by using software encryption like BitLocker.  I personally also prefer the idea of using a more widely adopted (and better documented) encryption solution rather than a solution that's proprietary to the storage vendor and not well documented.  Using software-based BitLocker also makes the storage more recoverable from another system if needed, whereas Class 0 relies on the the BIOS to support prompting for the disk password at boot.

greesha
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you,

That answers my question. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos