This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2017 11:00

Dell XPS 15 9650 + TB16. Monitor turns off every few seconds

Hardware:

• Dell XPS 15, Nvidia 1050 
  • Thunderbolt docking station TB16
  • Two 1920x1080 monitors. One connected to HDMI using HDMI->DVI cable, another is connected to display port using DP->DVI cable.

The problem.

When the laptop wakes up after going to sleep mode, the monitor connected to HDMI starts to go blank ever 3-5 seconds.

The BIOS and drivers have been updated.

The only solution I found is to reboot.

UPDATE: this actually happens when windows turns of displays.

17 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

I finally got my replacement laptop and it fixed the issue.

I was never told what exactly was wrong with the old one. I'm actually surprised the problem was in the laptop not the dock itself.

Very happy with Dell support.

532 Posts

March 30th, 2017 00:00

Hi.

Welcome to our community,

We’ll surely try and assist you. We request you to try the following steps and check if the issue re-occurs,

1. Please uninstall the video drivers completely and install the same from our support site
2. Also swap the cable connecting the monitors.

17 Posts

March 30th, 2017 08:00

That did it.

Original Setup:

Monitor #1: Display Port-> DVI

Monitor #2: HDMI -> DVI

Problem:

Monitor #2 flickers after windows turns it off because of inactivity.

Steps:

1. Switched the cables

Monitor #1 (now on HDMI) started flickering right away

2. Uninstalled Nvidia 378.92

3. Rebooted

4. Installed Nvidia 373.06 (9560_Video_Driver_K5HF9_WN32_21.21.13.7306_A00)

5. Rebooted

6. The monitor #1 started flickering right away.

7. Set windows to turn of monitors after 1min. Waited one minute.

8. Nothing has changed. The monitor #2 works fine. The monitor #1 continues to flicker.

9. After about 5 min flickering stopped completely. Tried to reboot, tried to put the computer to sleep for a few times. It didn't appear again.

Hopefully, it was just the driver issue.

17 Posts

March 30th, 2017 11:00

No, that didn't fix it.

After lunch the monitor started to flicker again.

Had to reboot to make it stop.

My guess is that it depends on how long the monitor is off for. Maybe the dock itself goes to sleep?

April 1st, 2017 08:00

I have the same problem. I cannot go 30 seconds without the monitors flickering and then completely disconnecting.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 15:00

I'm having the same or similar problem.  Single screen - no problem. Dual screen, second screen blinks randomly every 5s - 5 mins.  Sometimes blinks a lot, sometimes works fine.  Regardless, its ridiculous for a new setup.

Have a support ticket in with Dell.  I've ruled out the monitors, display port cables, and mini-dp adapter.  Going to see if the driver install order, referenced here, fixes it.

www.dell.com/.../dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-driver-installation-guide

I'll update after.javascript:void(0);

3 Posts

April 11th, 2017 15:00

I'm having the same or similar problem.  Single screen - no problem. Dual screen, second screen blinks randomly every 5s - 5 mins.  Sometimes blinks a lot, sometimes works fine.  Regardless, its ridiculous for a new setup.

Have a support ticket in with Dell.  I've ruled out the monitors, display port cables, and mini-dp adapter.  Going to see if the driver install order, referenced here, fixes it.

www.dell.com/.../dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16-driver-installation-guide

I'll update after.

1 Message

April 26th, 2017 17:00

I am having the same issue with my XPS 9360.

17 Posts

April 27th, 2017 08:00

Nothing has changed for me.

First, a tech came to replace the wi-fi card. It didn't help.

Now I'm waiting for a replacement for my laptop as Dell support believes it will resolve the issue.

I also tried using mini-display port instead of HDMI, it's the same problem. Something is always wrong with the secondary monitor.

3 Posts

May 9th, 2017 13:00

So, I followed the recommended install order - with a BIOS update first.  The BIOS update bricked my laptop. They had to replace the bios chip, which took like 2 weeks.  Still, support staff were great through that nonsense.  Screen flickering stopped for first week or so after the replacement, now its back again. Still do not know what's causing the problem.

No Events found!